turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Burris Fastfire 2

Started by VAlongbeard84, June 09, 2011, 09:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAlongbeard84

Guys, I am thinking about upgrading to a burris fastfire 2 from my nikon turkey pro scope, and would like to know what you like the most about the fastfire 2. I like the fact of the weight savings, but I am wondering how precise it will be, and how hard it can be to sight in. I have heard they are not as easy to sight in as some optics. What are your guys thoughts on this sight?? Let me know. Thanks

BowBendr

The FFII is an extremely well built unit. I like its small size, long battery life and light weight, but what I like most about it is that now I shoot with both eyes open. No more hunkering down on the bead trying to make sure everything is lined up before you shoot. I just maintain a good cheek weld, both eyes open, red dot on birds head and smoke 'em. Where the dot is, the shot is going there. The field of view is wide open now.

It can be tricky to sight in. A little adjustment goes a long way and I think it's best adjusted by you holding the gun steady on a solid surface while a shooting buddy makes the change for you by moving the dot to the p.o.i. of the previous shot. Voila....done. Lock her down.

TauntoHawk

mine sighted in much faster than I expected and was a breeze to set up. I love how when you shoulder the gun all your field of vision is there and theres just a little red dot floating around ready to do some bashing. sight doesnt interfere at all and I dont worry about the battery dying or the sight getting knocked of zero after a season of beating it around.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

stilker

I just had a full season to put mine to test and I wouldn't wanna hunt without it now. I smacked some heads with it.

what I like about it...

-low profile
-lightweight
-tough
-waterproof
-well built
-small bright dot
-low light is a non-issue
-took three shots to sight in
-can use a protector with it
-no loss of field of view
-shoot with both eyes open
-can shoot from awkward angles
-if dot is on him, he in trouble

gophert

I wouldn't own two of them if I didn't believe in them.  Just miss a big long beard at 30 yards while on video.  Once you watch that over and over again....you will go buy one too.  I do suggest one of gobbler74's protectors however.  At $200 a pop....another $30 is a small price to pay. 

The Cohutta Strutter

Would there be a need to do an "add on" to the comb due to the height of the sight? I'm shooting a Rem. 870, 3 inch gun. Thanks.
Anybody seen America lately?

gophert

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on June 11, 2011, 09:07:19 AM
Would there be a need to do an "add on" to the comb due to the height of the sight? I'm shooting a Rem. 870, 3 inch gun. Thanks.

....it does sit a little higher if you use the weaver mount like the camo'd 870 above.  It's all a matter of personal preference and what feels comfortable.  I like to shoot with my cheek rested on the gun.  The good thing however about the FFII is that you don't have to center it in the window...just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.  It doesn't matter where your head is. 

whiskey

After having one season with the FFII, I will likely be adding one to my daughter's gun too. It served me well and is so easy to aim.

I had mine sighted in in 4 shots. I fired a cheap dove load at a box at 15 yards. It made a nice hole. Then I re-aimed the gun at the bullseye and then without moving the gun, I adjusted the red dot to the hole in the box. I fired one more dove load at 15 yards and blew the bullseye out of the box. Then I moved to 40 yards, fired 1 3.5" load, marked the center of the pattern and followed the same method of adjusting the red dot. The fourth shot had the pattern centered on the bull at 40 yards.

I don't need a comb riser with my set up.

The Cohutta Strutter

Okie. Whiskey, nice description of getting her dialed in! Thanks.
Anybody seen America lately?

gatrkyhntr70

Last year I just added 3 Burris ff2's to my 870,wife and sons 20 ga. 870's.
I was skeptical of it(shot sights or bead for years) even after taking the first gobbler with it but the more Ive shot it the more I like it! Ive seen my patterns go from sometimes being a tad off to dead on with the densest part on the turkeys vitals.
A friend bought the Leupold Delta point for nearly 2x what the burris ff2 cost me and I seen no difference; He actually regrets spending so much on the deltapoint.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

pullit

Quote from: stilker on June 09, 2011, 11:49:40 PM
I just had a full season to put mine to test and I wouldn't wanna hunt without it now. I smacked some heads with it.

what I like about it...

-low profile
-lightweight
-tough
-waterproof
-well built
-small bright dot

+4 (that is how many of them I have....(for all the above reasons)

neal

Quote from: stilker on June 09, 2011, 11:49:40 PM

what I like about it...

-low profile
-lightweight
-tough
-waterproof
-well built
-small bright dot
This is why own 2 of them they are AWESOME!!!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Big Timber

Footballer

Can these sights take a pretty good beating? I love the concept, but I'm curious if it will hold up to several seasons of hard turkey hunting. 

Old Gobbler

Quote from: Footballer on July 05, 2011, 11:13:41 AM
Can these sights take a pretty good beating? I love the concept, but I'm curious if it will hold up to several seasons of hard turkey hunting. 
I have a FF2 on a sp10 gauge and it has held zero the whole season , and we are talking 2.5 ounce poundings - its a quality item
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon