OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A legends Push-Pin

Started by Tom007, March 26, 2022, 07:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Years back, a Turkey Call and Hunting Legend Dick Kirby passed away. His son Chris sold off some of his private call collection. I was lucky enough to get this Teak Push-pin from his collection. I've never seen one made from Teak. It has a very unique sound, I have taken it in the field successfully. I mostly keep it in my display case, but once in a while, it's yelping to a perspective Tom. Mr. Kirby was a tribute to our sport....RIP, he was a pioneer for sure.
"Solo hunter"

turkeymanjim

Yes, Rest in peace Mr Kirby!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

callmakerman

Shape looking call. One question. I thought Loftus did the Chatterbox. I have one of Dick's all walnut trough calls. Man that thing sounds good and still gets hunted.

3bailey3

Tom007

Amen friends, thank you....
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Nice push pin with a great history!

Quote from: callmakerman on March 26, 2022, 05:44:32 PM
I have one of Dick's all walnut trough calls. Man that thing sounds good and still gets hunted.

I have one of Dick's personal calls, a trough and its a fantastic call. He was right, it is a screamer.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

Another awesome push pin ...

Tom007

Shape looking call. One question. I thought Loftus did the Chatterbox. I have one of Dick's all walnut trough calls. Man that thing sounds good and still gets hunted.

I believe the Chatterbox is a style of calls a lot of push pin makers used. Tom Duval, Ike Ashby, David Loftus, Kelly's Callers all used the Chatterbox style components. I think Dick Kirby used this style using the Teak wood for construction. It has a raspy, softer sound. I have some cedar pushpins, another softer wood like teak that sound good too. Yes, those walnut toughs are deadly, I have a few of them. Nice quiet call....thanks...
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: paboxcall on March 26, 2022, 08:42:51 PM
Nice push pin with a great history!

I have one of Dick's all walnut trough calls. Man that thing sounds good and still gets hunted.

I have one of Dick's personal calls, a trough and its a fantastic call. He was right, it is a screamer.

Love these troughs too. Great call for mid morning sits when the Tom's are roaming.......
"Solo hunter"

sixbird

Quote from: Tom007 on March 26, 2022, 07:37:42 AM
Years back, a Turkey Call and Hunting Legend Dick Kirby passed away. His son Chris sold off some of his private call collection. I was lucky enough to get this Teak Push-pin from his collection. I've never seen one made from Teak. It has a very unique sound, I have taken it in the field successfully. I mostly keep it in my display case, but once in a while, it's yelping to a perspective Tom. Mr. Kirby was a tribute to our sport....RIP, he was a pioneer for sure.
That's a cool call! Lucky to have that...
I know Mike Lapp has made at least one pushpin out of teak. I actually have a picture of it but loading it to here is an exercise in frustration for me.
LOVE Mikes' pushpins. I think he makes the best there is (my opinion of course). Easy to run and great sound.
A number of turkeys agree ( or HAVE agreed ) with me on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Not to diminish your call in any way. That call certainly is a collectors dream...

paboxcall

Quote from: Tom007 on March 27, 2022, 07:45:10 AM
Love these troughs too. Great call for mid morning sits when the Tom's are roaming.......

Agree, the trough is a unique call, no pot I have or had over the years sounds like it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Tom007

Quote from: sixbird on March 27, 2022, 04:02:50 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 26, 2022, 07:37:42 AM
That's a cool call! Lucky to have that...
I know Mike Lapp has made at least one pushpin out of teak. I actually have a picture of it but loading it to here is an exercise in frustration for me.
LOVE Mikes' pushpins. I think he makes the best there is (my opinion of course). Easy to run and great sound.
A number of turkeys agree ( or HAVE agreed ) with me on that

. I have a Lapp push pin, great call. It has lured in a lot of nice gobblers to the barrel. They are fantastic push pins, no doubt.
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: paboxcall on March 27, 2022, 04:17:36 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on March 27, 2022, 07:45:10 AM

Agree, the trough is a unique call, no pot I have or had over the years sounds like it.

You are dead on my friend, unique sound......
"Solo hunter"

Old Gobbler

Huge fan of Dick Kirby myself ..he was a turkey hunting pioneer..way ahead of his time

Dick was successful with licensing call makers designs under his marketing and distribution ...Niel Cost was one DD adams a another ..some of the calls designs were absolutely amazing

David Loftis told me ... personally...Dick and him were working on something together many...many years ago but it didn't work out for some reason or another ...That looks like David Loftis call ..I would definitely take good care of it ..I myself have a Perfection Game calls (Jim Clays company) version

Keep that call safe I've personally never seen one before

David I believe licensed out to others , and also sold outright under his name brand

Push pins have had a up and down thing for decades ... I could write book on it ..Dick Kirby was perhaps one of the biggest believers in the potential of the design ..Knight and Hale game calls (who I consider both those men as geniuses) also promoted the design and did alot of good work in the area

Not to ramle on ...that's a serious collector piece

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon