OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Striker.

Started by Swamp, June 09, 2011, 03:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Have only had my leath a few days now and i really enjoy turning but here is my first striker that  I'm satisfied with, let me know what you think and what improvements can be made.

Spring Creek Calls

That looks great! Make up a few different woods and put 'em in the classies. I'll buy one.

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Last Strut Calls

Looks super for your first! Every striker will get better and better each time you make one. What kind of wood did you try?

Swamp

This is cherry. It sounds great on the call you made me this one is going in my vest. But so far i have used Maple, Cherry, Oak, and poplar. What do you use to rough up the tip on your strikers i have yet to find a good method for rouging the tip.  And once i have enough faith in them ill start buying some exotic woods. I'm already trying to get my hands on some purpleheart .

Last Strut Calls

I use 120 to rough the tip up but some of the softer woods just dont sound good. I dont like poplar but cherry is decent. Denseer woods like bc, bubinga, are good. Purple heart, yellow heart, padauk, and canary are really good.

MarkJM

Not too bad for a first. how long are your strikers?
MuellerCustomCalls

Swamp

Ill have to buy some purple heart Ive never heard of it until i joined this sight. Right now I'm just trying to get the shape down pat and using in expensive woods to do so. Luckily my dad cut down a walnut tree on our farm several years ago and had it sawed up so i have plenty of air dried walnut to use.

Swamp

Quote from: MarkJM on June 11, 2011, 01:54:21 PM
Not too bad for a first. how long are your strikers?
Anywere form 7 to 9 inches.

TarheelTurk

Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

Swamp