turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Issue while patterning

Started by ssramage, March 25, 2022, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssramage

Ran into some issues today that I have not experienced before while patterning. Curious if it's happened to anyone else and what your thoughts are.

Gun is an older NEF single shot that has been completely worked through. I've had the gun for 20+ years and it has been my dedicated turkey gun for the last 10. I took it out to pattern before season tomorrow (I'm way behind this year) and had a number of different TSS shells to test. Only change to the gun was that I swapped to a tighter constriction choke to test vs what I've always ran.

Tested 4 different loads (Fed TSS 8x10, Fed TSS 9, Apex Ninja 8.5, and Apex Ol Tom 8x10). After both shots with the Apex loads, the shell stuck in the barrel and would not extract. I'm assuming it has something to do with the hull that they use, but in a single shot this is a major problem...

Thoughts?

7shooter

Sounds like too much pressure.

yelpy

Higher Pressure x 2.

A dirty chamber can also cause sticking.

ssramage

Quote from: yelpy on March 25, 2022, 04:50:18 PM
Higher Pressure x 2.

A dirty chamber can also cause sticking.

Chamber cleaned with bore snake between every shot. The Apex loads patterned best out of my gun by far, but I'm hesitant to carry them if the shells don't extract...

Ranman

Only need one shot. Carry a multi piece cleaning rod. Just in case.. Why the choke change?

hoythunter

I have the same problem with my 301 .410. It will eject federal tss and field loads but not apex ninjas.

ssramage

Quote from: Ranman on March 26, 2022, 03:29:23 PM
Only need one shot. Carry a multi piece cleaning rod. Just in case.. Why the choke change?

Yep, you only need one shot... until you don't. I like the ability to load another round if needed. With TSS my pattern was very open, almost too open. I changed the choke to tighten it up some.

Quote from: hoythunter on March 26, 2022, 04:14:57 PM
I have the same problem with my 301 .410. It will eject federal tss and field loads but not apex ninjas.

Funny. I reached out to them on Facebook and they had never heard of this issue. It must have just been me...

Ihuntoldschool

Too much pressure.

Used to happen alot when I shot Nitro Ammo in single barrels.

Lcmacd 58

Its definitely a pressure issue. My old duck load would do the same thing .... even had the shell separate at the brass

runngun

You can polish the chamber and it very well can help. I had this issue with Nitro's in my Encore 12 gauge. I ordered the Flex hone polisher from Brownell's. I have also used a smaller chamber brush (28 gauge) wrapped up in steel wool with Flitz metal polish. Should not take long with a drill.
Also yes it should only take one shot, UNTIL IT DON'T!!! And then you need that 2nd shell.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Bigfootwolff

I would try polishing the chamber first.  While I agree that the Apex loads might have a slightly higher pressure, it could also be the composition of the shotshell brass or brass colored steel, combined with slight rough spots in the gun's chamber.  I had this same issue with a 20 gauge Remington 870 when shooting Winchester white box target loads. Every few rounds fired resulted in the shell getting stuck in the chamber, requiring the spent shell to be tapped out.  Polishing the chamber solved this issue with no stuck shells after the chamber was polished.