OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Franchi Affinity 3 Compact

Started by hardmanjd, March 25, 2022, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardmanjd

I picked up a 20 gauge Franchi Affinity 3 Compact with a 24" barrel along with a Carlson's .575 extended turkey choke this past fall based on research from this forum.  I got the stock and forearm dipped in mossy oak bottomland and have been anxiously awaiting the season to start this year.  I have been on the lookout for shells since before Christmas.  I really wanted to try the Federal TSS #9's, but after researching on the forum, it seems most have trouble with them cycling.  I have not been able to come across any Apex #9's and finally had to settle for some Hevi-shot Magnum Blend shells that I was finally able to get my hands on a couple of weeks ago.  Well, needless to say, you can tell from the picture of the Mag Blends, I was not happy this week when I shot them.  The next day (the day before the season opened), I thought I would try my local shop again to see if, by chance, they had any 20 gauge shells come in.  Luckily, they got a shipment in this week.  All were #7's except for some Federal Heavyweight TSS #7 and #9 blend.  So, in despair from the Mag Blend, I opted for the Fed blend.  Needless to say, I'm a happy hunter now!  Also, I started by loading the Fed blend shell from the magazine and it went in flawlessly.  I then put a Mag Blend shell into the magazine to make sure it would load behind the Fed shell after firing.  It also loaded flawlessly.  My plan is to hunt with a Fed TSS shell in the chamber and two lesser shells in the magazine.  So, with 225 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with the Fed TSS #7,#9 blend, I'm ready to hunt!       

mountainhunter1

Guns either love the Magnum blend or they truly hate it as you found out. You would think that load would shoot a lot better than it does.

But as to your later attempt with the 7 and 9 blend, you have a good solid hunting pattern. That 7 and 9 blend of TSS tends to shoot good out of most guns. You should kill a lot of birds with that set up.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

BINK McCARTY

If you're open to it, try the Apex ninja or Foxtrot crushers in 9s

hardmanjd

Thanks for the comments.  I'm relieved to have found a load available that works.  I may try some others in the future and will take a look at the Apex ninja and Foxtrot Crushers.  I actually looked at the Foxtrot ammo, but never found any available when I checked.  Hopefully, this will all get better soon!