OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4 shot.

Started by jerf, February 25, 2022, 04:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerf

Thoughts on the Remington premier magnum loads. How do they pattern for everyone?

the Ward

Just posted a pattern pic in the 10 gauge pattern subforum with that shell. Don't know if that will help.

Quote from: jerf on February 25, 2022, 04:28:46 PM
Thoughts on the Remington premier magnum loads. How do they pattern for everyone?
I have four 10ga. guns and only one will pattern the Remington load well. All four pattern the old  Winchester Supreme XX or Federal Premium 2 1/4 oz. loads better.

Old Gobbler

I personally avoided them back in the day , I had far better results using the federal #4 2.25 oz ..that was my main squeeze before heavyshot etc..

With that said just about any magnum payload of lead turkey load out of a full choked 10 gauge should be able to kill a gobbler stone cold dead at 40 yards ...try those Remingtons out and see what they can do !
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jerf

I got everything  ordered to load up some Nickle plated 5 shot. Is it possible  to get over 200 in the 10 at 40?

Old Gobbler

Quote from: jerf on March 10, 2022, 08:02:42 PM
I got everything  ordered to load up some Nickle plated 5 shot. Is it possible  to get over 200 in the 10 at 40?
if you did I would be amazed , you'll probably get 150 to 160ish ... possibly 170 with nickel lead

typically speaking .... In lead turkey /guns ... If you can get 50% of your payload in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards you are shooting at optimum performance

It's been awhile but if I got 140 in a 10 with either 4's or 5's I was doing real good ..about 20 years ago Remington came out with Thier hevishot collaboration and I shot those out of a Rhino .685 with that type of pattern but with much increased penetration , from there I would exclusively shoot the nitro 2.25 oz straight hevishot #5 I used to order those in 25 count boxes I shot it so much ...180 was what I would get with those ...nitros hevi #5's hit like a frieght train ..I think I still have a few rolling around
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Vintage

How about the original post.

4nolz2

I used to use their hevishot it was literally half as good as the tss 9s as expected.#4 lead ~=#9 tss in mass

jerf

Quote from: Vintage on March 12, 2022, 03:15:51 PM
How about the original post.
still gonna try but bpi didn't have np4. They had 5 and 6. I will maybe try 6 also, just figured 5 would be better if I miss judge distance a bit.

Vintage

Does anyone shoot Remington premier magnum loads. How do they pattern for everyone?

4nolz2

I have lead 4s I use for pattern centering only.I also have hevishot left from the preTSS days

Quote from: Vintage on March 12, 2022, 11:15:47 PM
Does anyone shoot Remington premier magnum loads. How do they pattern for everyone?
The only 10ga. shotgun I have that the Remington Premier 10ga. load pattern well in is a Spanish SxS that has Briley extended screw in chokes (.705"). Out of my four 10ga. guns that's the only one I would hunt with using that load. Personally, I think the main flaw with that load compared to the Winchester or Federal is that the Remington wad is the old SP10 1 5/8 oz. The remaining 5/8oz. of shot sits above the shot cup and rides unprotected down the barrel when fired.