turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Where do you aim on his head?

Started by Uncle Tom, March 21, 2022, 07:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

I typically aim pretty high on the neck. I don't like pellets in the breast meat.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Look him in the eye , shoot him in the eye.

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Uncle Tom

Since I started this topic, I am declaring a winner! Gobbler 428's post...."bottom of the Red Thing"...can't get much better than that and seems most would agree. Now, what prize should he get for fully explaining exactly what we all have been trying to say for days now....thanks Gobbler428 from us all!

btomlin

I always told my son to "put the round apple(head) on the post(bead).   So I guess I aim for where the neck attaches to the head, but my gun shoots 50/50.

bbcoach

For me, it is where the caruncles meet the feathers.  I don't want half of my pattern to fly over his head by aiming at his eyes.

DMTJAGER

>40 hair above waddles, <40 just under the head.

Ihuntoldschool

Totally agree with deadbuck.  Shooting a shotgun is instinct.  It's more point the bead than it is aim.
Besides at any distance the bead covers the head/neck area .

GobbleNut

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 27, 2022, 02:43:29 PM
Totally agree with deadbuck.  Shooting a shotgun is instinct.  It's more point the bead than it is aim.

Yep, this.  I shoot beads and when those beads are lined-up on, or covering, "The Red Thing", that load is going downrange.  The shot may end up being a few inches high or low from center, but there is invariably a flopping, dead turkey laying there after I pull the trigger.  I don't contemplate anything beyond that result...   ;D :angel9:

g8rvet

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 27, 2022, 02:43:29 PM

I lost the front bead of my vent rib shotgun one year during the duck season.  Never noticed until I went to sight in for turkey. I guess I used the bead when shooting a turkey, but not wing shooting at all. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bonasa

Candyman

I think it depends on how your gun shoots. I use a vortex venom and it's sighted in so that I aim at his eye. May seem strange but it's a small target and helps me concentrate and "aim small".  Would be just as easy to adjust the sight and aim at the waddles.

B2H

I aim at the top of the head and kill them with the bottom of the pattern, thus greatly deceasing the possibility of pellets in the beast meat.

BennieGobbler

Neck and feather line!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Lcmacd 58

Quote from: btomlin on April 08, 2022, 12:53:10 PM
I always told my son to "put the round apple(head) on the post(bead).   So I guess I aim for where the neck attaches to the head, but my gun shoots 50/50.
+1
I put his head on top of the bead
Shoot em close