turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Franchi affinity 3

Started by bigbird, January 10, 2022, 01:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

So anyone with an affinity 3 20 gauge have cycling problems with the roll crimp shells? I found a couple but I have read about some cycling issues. Is that from an older version of the affinity or the 3? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Gmed

I have seen some people have them with the Federal 3" TSS, but mine doesn't have that issue (so far)....I haven't heard of any other rolled crimp shell issues in them from any other manufacturer...

Nathan_Wiles

The federal shells are just barely too long in my affinty 3 20ga. to cycle freely. Lightly touch the carrier and they will cycle. I've checked Rogue and Apex and they worked just fine in my gun.
I'm planning to hunt with Rogue shells this year.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

I've ran the new Affinty 3 Elite 20 gauge almost all year long this season for waterfowl, and have absolutely loved it. I've been shooting a lot of FastSteel, Bismuth, HeviHammers, and even a little Tungsten, all hot loads. The only time I have had any issues was when I didn't clean the gun after a muddy layout blind hunt and took it home and gave it a deep clean and just keep it nice and clean from there on out and it's even operated flawlessly on single digit and sub zero temps since.

I will say the Cerakote on them doesn't hold up great though, but for a waterfowl gun I don't expect it to be too pretty forever. I have been exceptionally pleased with the results of this gun and shoot better than most of my friends shooting 3 1/2" 12 gauges.

Vinci1964

I have shot the Apex GT20's and never had a problem in my Affinity 3 20 gauge. I am currently running hand loads and they run good as well.  Hand loads are the same length as GT20's.

Franklin7x57

bought mine 6 months ago, federal tss is too long to feed in mine. The problem is the length of the finished shell.

Nathan_Wiles

Quote from: Franklin7x57 on January 30, 2022, 05:29:50 PM
bought mine 6 months ago, federal tss is too long to feed in mine. The problem is the length of the finished shell.
I have the same issue. I checked against shells that will cycle and the difference isn't very much but it surely won't cycle the Federal stuff.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

dblake82

I've got a brand new affinity 3 turkey 20g It won't cycle any shells. I shot it 31 times today with 1oz dove load it cycled twice. Call franchi they recommend trying the 1oz because I was using some 7/8oz that wasn't workin . They said the 7/8 was the minimum load that gun would run. I also have a affinity 3 compact that I love that's why I bought the turkey. It cycles anything other than federal tss . I'm highly disappointed that I'm sending a brand new gun back to franchi. They said it would take 4-6 weeks .

Remington700

I bought 2 Franchi Affinty 3 at the same time. One worked flawlessly and has been amazing. One jammed every shot. I had to send it back twice, but they fixed it the second time. It has been great since.

cpreeves

Bought one last year. Won't cycle federal TSS shells but will run apex just fine.

Jcfd142

I bought an Affinity 3 in 12 a few years ago and it won't cycle TSS or Long Beard XR. So that was really disappointing as I wanted it to be my turkey gun. It is now my duck gun and I have a pistol grip Weatherby for turkey.

Brillo

I bought a Franchi Turkey in 20 gauge plus some Federal TSS and a box of Win 2X all in 3".  None of the reviews for this gun mentioned an issued with Federal 3" and all were positive except for mentions of the magazine stiffness. Then I found OG and read about the Federal cycling issue.  A suggestion was made somewhere to break the gun in with 1 oz. upland ammo so I bought some for that purpose.  At the range I took my first dozen or so shots with the upland ammo (Federal 2-3/4 1 oz loads) and 1 out of 3 or 4 failed to cycle.  I thought to myself..."why did I just waste $900.00 plus the cost of ammo?  I was feeling pretty low but decided to run some of the 3" turkey loads while I was there anyway.  Well, howdy do!!! every 3" I fed it cycled beautifully and hit where I aimed.  Go figure.  I still need to sight it in so it will get another chance before I take it hunting but I am optimistic.  If I was going to do it again I would go a different route based on what I have learned here but...too late for that now.

Gmed

Quote from: Brillo on March 15, 2022, 07:45:35 PM
I bought a Franchi Turkey in 20 gauge plus some Federal TSS and a box of Win 2X all in 3".  None of the reviews for this gun mentioned an issued with Federal 3" and all were positive except for mentions of the magazine stiffness. Then I found OG and read about the Federal cycling issue.  A suggestion was made somewhere to break the gun in with 1 oz. upland ammo so I bought some for that purpose.  At the range I took my first dozen or so shots with the upland ammo (Federal 2-3/4 1 oz loads) and 1 out of 3 or 4 failed to cycle.  I thought to myself..."why did I just waste $900.00 plus the cost of ammo?  I was feeling pretty low but decided to run some of the 3" turkey loads while I was there anyway.  Well, howdy do!!! every 3" I fed it cycled beautifully and hit where I aimed.  Go figure.  I still need to sight it in so it will get another chance before I take it hunting but I am optimistic.  If I was going to do it again I would go a different route based on what I have learned here but...too late for that now.

Read in your manual. I can't remember now, but there is a "minimum" recommended loading for the intertia guns to cycle. In 20 gauge I believe it's 3-dram, 1-1/8 ounce or a 7/8-ounce with at least 1200 FPS. The Affinity is a good gun, but if you put one of the Federal rounds side by side with about any other brand of roll crimp 3" TSS you will notice the Federal is a little longer. There lies the problem. My Affinity has so far cycled them fine, but some don't. You may have to run a hundred rounds of low brass thru it using the recommended ammo, but it will smooth out and cycle fine.

Roost 1

In the affinity and affinity 3 a 2 5/8" finished shell will or should cycle perfectly.
If rolling your own 3" hulls must be trimmed