turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New 301 Stevens

Started by longbow59, February 28, 2023, 11:47:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbow59

Choke recommendations for a 20 gauge 301 stevens. Going to try the factory choke first, but would like some real world recommendations. TIA

Glades

Get 4-5 tubes and try them. Nobody can tell you what will work in YOUR gun

runngun

I would reach out to Mr William at Sumtoy!!! I would probably start with a. 562. But it boils down to the kind of pattern that you want. Super tight or just a good even hunting pattern.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Uncle Tom

Longbow, I have the Stevens 301 in 20 ga and handloads of TSS #9. That factory choke in my gun is a 575 constriction and throws a great pattern. First of all, you need to clean it real good and it took me a while to do it. After you clean it, put it away and check next day you will probably find residue in it still. Clean it again.... check another day....keep doing this till you can push a cotton ball down it and it comes out perfectly clean. Then you ready to shoot. I also have a REM Fieldmaster 20 ga and it gets the same treatment. The Stevens throws 305 in the 10" and 176 in the 20" for a total of 481. The Fieldmaster with a Carlson 575 throws 299 in the 10" and 189 in the 20".....488 total. They both put 47 and 53 in the head and neck vert. Until I cleaned them the way I described was waisting a lot of shells and money. Both these guns like a clean barrel. I loaded up some # 9 few days ago with Hal Abbott and he told me they would put 300 in the 10" if the barrel was clean....so take it for what the expert says. Let up know what you decide.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 03, 2023, 08:06:12 AM
Longbow, I have the Stevens 301 in 20 ga and handloads of TSS #9. That factory choke in my gun is a 575 constriction and throws a great pattern. First of all, you need to clean it real good and it took me a while to do it. After you clean it, put it away and check next day you will probably find residue in it still. Clean it again.... check another day....keep doing this till you can push a cotton ball down it and it comes out perfectly clean. Then you ready to shoot. I also have a REM Fieldmaster 20 ga and it gets the same treatment. The Stevens throws 305 in the 10" and 176 in the 20" for a total of 481. The Fieldmaster with a Carlson 575 throws 299 in the 10" and 189 in the 20".....488 total. They both put 47 and 53 in the head and neck vert. Until I cleaned them the way I described was waisting a lot of shells and money. Both these guns like a clean barrel. I loaded up some # 9 few days ago with Hal Abbott and he told me they would put 300 in the 10" if the barrel was clean....so take it for what the expert says. Let up know what you decide.

Have you tried Denatured Alcohol? It makes that process so much easier to get to a truly clean and DRY barrel. If your barrel is nasty, start with a solvent and then go to the DA. Once you have the barrel pretty clean, you can just about go with the DA alone if you clean if after about every four shots. But a dry barrel (with no oily residue, even if the residue is perfectly clean oil, etc.) will almost always pick up your ten count average.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Uncle Tom

Will try the DA.....had heard that before and thanks for the tip.