turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Browning BPS

Started by ThicketThrasher, February 13, 2011, 04:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThicketThrasher

Some of you Turkey gun experts help me out on this.I have a browning bps upland special that I used for while grouse hunting. I haven't used the gun in a while. I was considering turning the gun into a turkey gun. The gun has a straight stock and I was wandering if a straight stocked gun would be OK for a turkey gun. The gun is also blued and wood. I may have it dipped. The gun has invector plus choke system. I would rather use this gun than to buy a new if at all possible. Your thoughts?

R AJ

Those turkeys have no idea of what stock you have. Give it a try and see. Some of my best patterning is from the BPS inv+ in a 22.5" bbl. A choke that I am currently using is made by Sumtoy Chokes, contact information is on their web site . Another favorite of mine is a Carlsons 655 using the Winchester 3-1 3/4-#6 or Old White #6s AKA (Slam Dunk).

ThicketThrasher

Yeah I guess the turkeys don't care. I was concerned that perhaps with the heavier loads, i may have issues with con trolling the guns recoil. But I just haven't seen anyone with a straight stocked turkey gun. I was concerned that They may know something I didn't.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: ThicketThrasher on February 15, 2011, 10:44:40 AM
Yeah I guess the turkeys don't care. I was concerned that perhaps with the heavier loads, i may have issues with con trolling the guns recoil. But I just haven't seen anyone with a straight stocked turkey gun. I was concerned that They may know something I didn't.

I used to hunt turkeys with a BPS Upland Special, straight stocked, Invector choked gun. It was a real kicker and while I liked that gun a lot, it was "relatively" light for a BPS, short and handy in the turkey woods, I eventually gave it up as a turkey gun for the reasons you've mentioned. It really transferred a lot of recoil to my cheek when I shot 3" turkey loads. Getting a second shot off, when necessary, was not too easy either. Those are great guns but I believe your instincts and experience with that gun give you some insight into how it might work for you as a turkey gun.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

decoykrvr

Of all the choke tubes I've tried in my BPS, the Indian Creek Invector + .665 worked best w/ Hevi-13, 7's and 6's and the I.C. Invector + .675 w/ 6's and larger shot.  Adding to what Clark said, the  English stock delivers more of a straight back, high on the shoulder recoil which you might be able to tame w/ a Limbsaver or Decelerator recoil pad.

SumToy

Put a 673 to 675 with the 7's and go to around a 680 with the 6's.  That will give you a good even kill pattern and not kick that bad with the HV-13 loads.  The more you choke a gun the more it will kick.  Big thing is not over choke.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ThicketThrasher

Well I need a backup gun. I have the BPS and I also have a Benelli Monfeltro. Both are wood and blued. I assumed that the BPS would be the better choice of the 2 for a turkey gun. I'm not sure if I can handle the recoil in the BPS with heavy loads. Would the Benelli be a better choice.?

hookedspur

If you are comfortable with it by all means use it.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

the Ward

hey thicket thrasher,the bps upland is a great gun for turkey.i got one in '95 and it pretty much was my only shotgun till recently.shot about a zillion rounds out of it and its still like new.the only drawbacks are its a little on the heavy side and the english grip makes your wrist tire out when you got the gun up waiting for the bird to come in range.watch not to over choke.best inexpensive one ive tried so far is carlsons .680.the factory ported super full is a 640 and seems to blow patterns even using 9 shot at the turkey shoots.this is an invector plus barrel.recently added bell and carsen synthetic stocks i got on closeout from cabellas cause they discontinued the camo pattern.comb is higher so ill be adding sights shortly to correct p.o.i.you just cant go wrong with a bps!    Ward