News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 Not Ejecting

Started by cjr1, June 06, 2011, 05:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjr1

Hi,
I've got an old 835 that I bought the first year on the market. I started to get back into turkey hunting this year and decided to use it as my main gun. I have been having issues with it not ejecting fired shells. Doesn't matter what size 2 3/4 to 3 1/2. Sometimes it does, most times it won't.

The gun came with a 28" barrel and a couple of years later I purchased a 24" for it. Almost all of the shooting was done out of the 28".

Could the tabs on the ejectors be worn?  I'm out of ideas. Thanks for any help with this.

gobblergls

For very little money you can have all springs replaced--extractor, ejector, firing pin, etc..  You can determine if the extractors are worn visibly, but most likely it's weakened springs.  Sometimes plastic build up in the chamber can retard extraction which can upset ejection, but a deep cleaning of chamber will resolve this.  In 1990 I bought an 835 and had issues with Nitros failing to extract.  ( Nitros have a reputation for high pressure which can cause stuck shells.)  I sent the 835 off to John Mann and Son gunsmiths and they changed out all springs for what I thought a very reasonable sum.  You could probably find a local smith  to do it.  It's not a big job.

cjr1

Thanks.

Now I've got to find a new gunsmith. The guy I had used for years lost his business in the tornados back in April.

Does anyone know of a good one in North Alabama in the Shoals to Huntsville area?

TrkyHntr

I've heard that muscle shoals gun clinic is pretty good. Going to be hard to beat Fred Harper though.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

Reloader

Very common problem with 835s.  My 835 does the same thing as well.  Thoroughly clean the chamber with solvent and a brush, a drill helps speed this process.

A new extractor and spring will be a big help as well.  I have had a little success by sharpening the claw on the extractor for a better bite, but a new one is not a bad idea.  I would definitely be sure to keep the chamber extra clean as any build-up will cause resistance when the hull expands to the chamber.  Some hulls are worse than others as well.  I seem to have more problems with Cheddite or Federal hulls.  IE the H13 factory loads are Cheddite hulls and frequently jam in my 835 if the chamber is not squeaky clean.

bird

I had 3 different 835's at one time in the past that did the same exact thing along with other issues.  I solved my headaches by getting rid of them and going to another brand of firearm.  Problem Solved!

bird

stinkpickle

Quote from: gobblergls on June 06, 2011, 06:22:21 PM
...Nitros have a reputation for high pressure which can cause stuck shells...

True dat!  I never had any problems with those hard-kicking Win HV's in my old 835, but I once had a Nitro weld itself in there.   :D   BTW, I think the Win HV's still kicked harder. 

BigGobbler

Yep mine too! Everytime I shoot winchester shells.

goblr77

I guess I'm lucky. I've had five 835's over the years and never had a problem out of 'em. They were never shot much and only used for turkey hunting though, no wingshooting.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bird on June 07, 2011, 10:17:12 AM
I had 3 different 835's at one time in the past that did the same exact thing along with other issues.  I solved my headaches by getting rid of them and going to another brand of firearm.  Problem Solved!

bird

I can't say I blame you.  If I had that kind of luck out of mine, it would be gone as well.  I guess I got a good one.  

JUGHEAD

Quote from: cjr1 on June 07, 2011, 08:52:30 AM
Thanks.

Now I've got to find a new gunsmith. The guy I had used for years lost his business in the tornados back in April.

Does anyone know of a good one in North Alabama in the Shoals to Huntsville area?
Tim Haynes is HARD to beat on anything shotgun related.  PM me if you want his contact info.

mightyjoeyoung

The old man had the first one in town back when they first came out.   I was patterning it one day and at the shot, I actually watched the extractor claw pop off and go flying.  Can't remember the shell but I think it was a Rem nitro 3.5/2..25/4. Back then they were the baddest load out in 3 1/2 lead.  Never did find the extractor.  Sent it to mossberg to have it fixed and never had another issue.  I have sold a TON of 835s and honestly have never had an issue with any of the guns produced after 1994.  Odd that so many guys have had that issue when I can only remember it happening on the first production models. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

never have had an ejection problem out of either of my 835's unless shooting the over pressured nitro's
one is a 1990 model,the other is a 2006 model
it's not the harvest,it's the chase