OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 with hevi shot 6 3.5” help

Started by CrustyRusty, February 17, 2022, 04:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrustyRusty

Just picked up a new 835 with 24" barrel and factory turkey choke for my son in law.  I have BOXES of hevi 6's 3.5 inch shells for him that I don't use any more.  He will never have to buy shells again.... I see conflicting information on whether he can use the factory choke with the hevi shot.  I was thinking of getting a carlsons tss choke since they seem reasonably priced, but does anyone have any other suggestions for the hevi 6 3.5" loads specifically?  Thanks

Happy

I use a star dot for my 835 and still use hevi 3.5" #6's occasionally. Its a .676 construction i believe. I believe most chokes will shoot hevi shot. I was told years ago by a gunsmith that the lead only printing on chokes was to prevent the use of steel shot.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jordanz7935

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/hevi-shothevi-13-turkey-choke-tube-system?quantity=1&firearm=Mossberg%2520835-935

Cant beat it for the price... i beleive its a .676. Theres really a lot of good chokes out there for 835's.
No worries using factory choke with hevi shot, wont hurt a thing.

gtrjames

My neighbor has an old 835. He shoots 3 1/2 Nitros through an Undertaker tube he got at Walmart years ago. Some of the best patterns I've ever seen.  Those Mossbergs are usually pretty easy to work up a good setup. He did polish his barrel.

CrustyRusty

Spurs Up

Quote from: jordanz7935 on February 17, 2022, 11:13:03 PM
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/hevi-shothevi-13-turkey-choke-tube-system?quantity=1&firearm=Mossberg%2520835-935

Cant beat it for the price... i beleive its a .676. Theres really a lot of good chokes out there for 835's.
No worries using factory choke with hevi shot, wont hurt a thing.

Great find. Can't beat it period for any HTL load I've ever tried.