turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 3020 Turkey

Started by Cat Trapper, February 16, 2022, 10:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AC 870

Anyone take their front post off yet? Wondering how it came out.

Gmed

Quote from: AC 870 on February 26, 2022, 01:31:51 PM
Anyone take their front post off yet? Wondering how it came out.

Yeah, I would like to see a couple photos of the work myself guys......

Kygobblergetter

I took my front sight off as soon as I got the gun. Just took a grinder and cut it off flat and used a sharpie to get rid of the shine. I can take some pics Wednesday when I get home from vacation if you all would like to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Trapper

I haven't tackled mine yet. I was waiting on my base for the Kingslayer to come in before I started doing any major mods. I'm trying to make up my mind whether to grind it off or heat it to melt the solder.  I don't know how much of the camo I will lose if I melt the solder or how hard it will be to patch the camo and make it look good.

ncquackersmacker

Which pistol grip are y'all putting on these guns?

Cat Trapper

Quote from: ncquackersmacker on February 27, 2022, 04:42:58 PM
I most likely will not put a pistol grip on mine. I just like the look and feel of a traditional stock. I might try to find a compact stock though. I really don't think they have a pistol grip out yet for the 3020 but someone may start making one if demand is high enough.

Matt76cmich

Quote from: ncquackersmacker on February 27, 2022, 04:42:58 PM

The 12ga Steadygrip.  Still working on making it fit a little better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Turkeyfever

Sorry catrapper I just seen your question, yes I did shoot the choke tube that came with the gun but I liked the  pattern of the Carlson choke tube better.

Cat Trapper

Well I got my Kingslayer mounted with a base from Sumtoy. The base fit perfectly where the factory rear sight was mounted. The only issue I had was the screws sent with the base were too big diameter to fit the holes in the receiver. I had to use the screws that came out of the factory sight. They were just a hair small for the base but seem to be working fine. They were also too long but we ground them off some to shorten them. I patterned it with the factory choke at 40 yards and got 308 in 10" with Apex #9s. Very happy with the way the gun is doing. I was dead set on removing the front sight but it is perfectly lined up with poi. Now I'm thinking about leaving the front sight on just in case something happens to the Kingslayer while hunting, I will still have an aiming point. Maybe after I get more confident in the reflex sight I might remove the front sight.

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on February 18, 2022, 02:57:33 PM
I was not a fan of the ghost ring sights at all. I added a pistol grip as well and it's probably my favorite gun I've ever carried turkey hunting

I added a pistol grip as well. I love it!

Cat Trapper

Question for everyone who have pistol grips. When you are carrying them on a sling does the pistol grip not jab you in the back/side? 

Matt76cmich

Quote from: Cat Trapper on March 11, 2022, 06:29:25 AM
Question for everyone who have pistol grips. When you are carrying them on a sling does the pistol grip not jab you in the back/side?
No. It rides along your side and I have never noticed the grip jabbing me at all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lacire

Quote from: Cat Trapper on March 04, 2022, 09:55:29 PM
Well I got my Kingslayer mounted with a base from Sumtoy. The base fit perfectly where the factory rear sight was mounted. The only issue I had was the screws sent with the base were too big diameter to fit the holes in the receiver. I had to use the screws that came out of the factory sight. They were just a hair small for the base but seem to be working fine. They were also too long but we ground them off some to shorten them. I patterned it with the factory choke at 40 yards and got 308 in 10" with Apex #9s. Very happy with the way the gun is doing. I was dead set on removing the front sight but it is perfectly lined up with poi. Now I'm thinking about leaving the front sight on just in case something happens to the Kingslayer while hunting, I will still have an aiming point. Maybe after I get more confident in the reflex sight I might remove the front sight.

Yah I agree, if you can use the front sight to cowitness your red dot then why remove it. Good luck hunting with it.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

AC 870

Did anyone finish the project to grind off the front post? If so, how'd it go?

Kygobblergetter

I did grind my front sight off. Worked fine. Just put a little black paint on it to cover the shiny metal