turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stoeger 3020 Turkey

Started by Cat Trapper, February 16, 2022, 10:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cat Trapper

I pickup my Stoeger 3020 turkey yesterday. Planning to put a Kingslayer on it. Has anyone had any experience removing the front sight?

Gmed

Interested in seeing the replies. I am kind of curious myself as I have seen posts somewhere that state the front sight is removable with one screw and other information that it's basically brazed on permanently. It's a neat looking gun, but those sights would probably have to go if they were on mine as well...

Cat Trapper

There is a screw on the front sight but the best I can tell it only allows you to remove the U shaped guard. So I believe it may be brazed on. Maybe others will chime in. I ordered a base from Sumtoy and hopefully when I remove the rear sight the new base will line up with the screw holes. It is additionally drilled and tapped so I'm sure we can get something to line up.

Kygobblergetter

All you can do is grind the front sight off. I removed the rear sight and mounted a small section of a rail there and mounted a vortex venom on it. Not sure if the holes are the same size as the sumtoy because they are different where the rear sight was mounted than the ones where it's drilled and tapped for a rail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Trapper

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on February 17, 2022, 01:21:20 AM
All you can do is grind the front sight off. I removed the rear sight and mounted a small section of a rail there and mounted a vortex venom on it. Not sure if the holes are the same size as the sumtoy because they are different where the rear sight was mounted than the ones where it's drilled and tapped for a rail

The small section of rail you mounted, did you cut cut it to the size you wanted and drill the holes yourself?

Kygobblergetter

I actually already had it cut to the size I wanted but the holes were already drilled. I'd had it mounted on my 870 that we drilled and tapped before and it just happened to line up perfect for the 3020

AC 870

I'm curious if the ghost ring sights are any count?

BINK McCARTY

Gonna have to grind it off, it's brazed on there. The concept of a turkey specific gun is awesome but the sights are awful. I ordered a new 24" bbl. from midwestgunworks.com in MO Obsession with the rib and regular front sight and put the hideous barrel in the closet. Also had mine fitted with a pistol grip.

Cat Trapper

Quote from: AC 870 on February 17, 2022, 10:47:26 PM

I'm curious if the ghost ring sights are any count?
Having just got my gun, I haven't hunted with the ghost ring sight but just looking through it I can't even see the rear sight. From what I understand that's kind of the way it supposed to work, the rear ring is not supposed to be very noticeable but I literally can't see anything at all. I use reading glasses for anything up close so someone with better/younger vision might have better luck with it. I'm taking it off and putting a Kingslayer on.

Cat Trapper

Quote from: BINK McCARTY on February 18, 2022, 01:11:30 AM
Gonna have to grind it off, it's brazed on there. The concept of a turkey specific gun is awesome but the sights are awful. I ordered a new 24" bbl. from midwestgunworks.com in MO Obsession with the rib and regular front sight and put the hideous barrel in the closet. Also had mine fitted with a pistol grip.
I have a buddy with a grinder all lined up ready to help. I think I will actually like it better with no bead once we get done with it. Once I get the reflex sight on it there won't be a need for any bead or rib so if all goes well and we don't get carried away with the grinder I think it will be good. Did you mount a reflex sight where the rear sight was? 

Kygobblergetter

I was not a fan of the ghost ring sights at all. I added a pistol grip as well and it's probably my favorite gun I've ever carried turkey hunting

AC 870

I got my 3020 Turkey yesterday, shot some light game loads through it today. I thought I was going to hate the ghost ring but I actually think it might work just fine. I got it second hand — the guy had never taken it to the woods — and my issue now will be figuring out which choke to use. It came with the factory choke, a Tightwad, a Pinhoti and another unmarked choke.

Kygobblergetter

The factory choke shoots great.

Turkeyfever

I have the turkey edition 3020 and another 3020 in  Bottomland. Both shoot the Carlson 575 non ported extended turkey great. Great guns but I am like everyone else wishing they made the turkey edition front sight removable. I put a Nikon Spur on mine and it works but I am going to get a gunsmith to get rid of that front sight eventually.

Cat Trapper

Quote from: Turkeyfever on February 21, 2022, 09:28:54 PM
I have the turkey edition 3020 and another 3020 in  Bottomland. Both shoot the Carlson 575 non ported extended turkey great. Great guns but I am like everyone else wishing they made the turkey edition front sight removable. I put a Nikon Spur on mine and it works but I am going to get a gunsmith to get rid of that front sight eventually.
Did you shoot the factory xft choke?  I believe it's a .575.  Just wondering how it compares to the Carlson?