OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The very BEST sounding box calls I ever owned........

Started by Yoder409, February 13, 2022, 09:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

This Steve Mann Old Hen black walnut over yellow poplar is a killer.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Tom Laska afromosia over sycamore is another awesome sounding call. He called it a field grade but it's a beauty and of high craftsmanship.

Zobo

Jody Harrison's snakewood over spalted tamarind is unbelievable. This one has a more subdued rasp and is extremely consistent playing, a five year old could run it. Three longbeards in two seasons with this  thing.

Zobo

Believe the hype, Lamar Williams red cedar over yellow poplar, worth the wait, money, lies to the wife, aggravation, etc. etc. etc.

Zobo

Last one, and an unlikely candidate, Darrel Helm, walnut over sycamore sawn and glued masterpiece. It's accounted for 14 dead gobblers since 2005. Bury me with it.

Yoder409

GREAT bunch of calls, Zobo !!!!!!!!!!

Always wanted to try a Helm.  Just haven't pulled the trigger on one, yet.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Hard to choose but the Marlin Watkins Alaskan Cedar over Service Berry would be mine because of the range.
IMG_0506 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

kwild835

Has to be my Macassar/Butternut fiddlebox. Easy to play and turkeys like it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

That's a beauty kwild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 15, 2022, 07:38:32 AM
Hard to choose but the Marlin Watkins Alaskan Cedar over Service Berry would be mine because of the range.

That is a good sounding call Stephen, I  believe you allowed me to play it at Turkey Trot a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure the lid was serviceberry and the box was Alaskan cedar.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on February 23, 2022, 08:15:54 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 15, 2022, 07:38:32 AM

That is a good sounding call Stephen, I  believe you allowed me to play it at Turkey Trot a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure the lid was serviceberry and the box was Alaskan cedar.
Yes I did let you play it there. You could be right, I am not home right now to check, I will when I get home.

Sent from my A574BL using Tapatalk
Here is the picture on the inside I had thought because the words Alaskan Yellow Cedar was on the top that that indicated the lid, but I have a lot to learn. Looking at the color I am thinking you are right.

IMG_0511 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bobk

Steve Mann cedar/mahogany paddle call.

Toby Koch  All cedar paddle call.

Gooserbat

I have a certain Albert Paul and a certain Richard Hudson hen box.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Zobo

Here's a really great short box by a lesser known maker.  Made for me by Tommy Slick Gilmer in 2007. It's canarywood over butternut and I swear sounds as good as any box I've run.  The left rail in particular has elicited countless gobbles and has that magical something the birds can't seem to resist.

Zobo

Say what you will about sawn and glued, this little turn if the century Doug Camp poplar box really excels at soft talk and close calling.