Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The very BEST sounding box calls I ever owned........

Started by Yoder409, February 13, 2022, 09:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Packmule got a good thing going with his "Two woods" post.

How about let's do a box call PICTURE THREAD ??

Let's see a pic of the VERY BEST sounding box calls you ever owned.  Not limited to one single box.  But, let's do one box per post.  A pic or pics of that one box and a full description.......maker.......wood combo......any side notes or sentimentalities.

See where it goes........... 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

davisd9

Wendell Lancaster Jatoba over holly. Only box I carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

Anything by Wendell Lancaster is a SOLID start to this !!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Macassar over wormy persimmon bridge design fiddle box by Marlin Watkins.

PA elitist since 1979

packmule

Oh, this'll be fun....
We should get similar threads going in the pot calls, scratch box, trumpet/wingbone, etc. sections. I'm busy now but can do it later if no one beats me to it.

Yoder409

We should !!!

I screwed up and shoulda put this in the Box Call Forum where it belongs.    ::)
PA elitist since 1979

vt35mag

Taking my ear and the gobblers ear into account, I'd go with my all walnut from TJ Johnson.
I've killed birds in the three states I hunt with it (VT, NH, and NY), and have had multiple gobbler days with it as well.

packmule

My first submission is a Steve Mann cedar/mahogany paddle call. I bought this call used
in the classifieds on OG. I have 3 Mann paddles and they are all good but this call is exceptional.

packmule

#2 is an Ed Terefencko bloodwood/Limba. This is probably the best hunting call I've ever purchased. I usually buy 1 paddle a year from Ed, he's a fine call maker.....

3bailey3

RiverBuck

2007 Morrow County, Ohio cedar box from Jake Schuman.

packmule

Quote from: vt35mag on February 13, 2022, 10:43:34 AM
Taking my ear and the gobblers ear into account, I'd go with my all walnut from TJ Johnson.
I've killed birds in the three states I hunt with it (VT, NH, and NY), and have had multiple gobbler days with it as well.

TJs calls are all turkey. He is able to find some of the best looking walnut too. Look at that lid!

gergg

I am admittedly not a box call guy, but I did have a Hudson Hen Box years ago that I thought sounded really good.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Gobbler428

Quote from: gergg on February 13, 2022, 01:31:23 PM
I am admittedly not a box call guy, but I did have a Hudson Hen Box years ago that I thought sounded really good.
bb

I've got a Hudson Hen Box with a Dymondwood Lid and Limba Box that is killer and stays in my vest.

shatcher

Quote from: Gobbler428 on February 13, 2022, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: gergg on February 13, 2022, 01:31:23 PM
bb

I've got a Hudson Hen Box with a Dymondwood Lid and Limba Box that is killer and stays in my vest.

Snakewood over teak.  I've had hens pick up and fly to me.  Toms raced after them running in a half strut.