turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Patterning

Started by Dlake79, February 07, 2022, 08:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dlake79

Will it hurt to shoot in my turkey gun now for the spring?

rakkin6

Realistically probably not has long has you don't make any changes to it. I just like to wait about 7 to 10 days before the season. Just my personal preference though. Patterning and putting  permethrin on my outerwear are usually the last 2 things I do.  Just do a lot of practicing on my calls, checking all my gear out and making sure it is good to go.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ChesterCopperpot

I'm not sure what the fear is? That something changes (say you pattern at 10F and it's 56F opening day; will that change the pattern) or that you knock your gun off from now to then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Yeah here in Tennessee we have been on the teens in temperature lately even during the day. But come the last week of March when the season opens we can be in the 60s. Don't really worry about bumping my guns though they get put up in their own cases. And it's just the way I always did it for deer hunting confirming zero right before the season started. Also I do it for 23 years in the Army that way. Everytime we rolled out on a mission my ODA would do a quick confirmation zero on the 25 meter range just to make sure our scopes and back up iron sights were good.  So it's kind of just engrained in me.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 07, 2022, 10:34:14 PM
Yeah here in Tennessee we have been on the teens in temperature lately even during the day. But come the last week of March when the season opens we can be in the 60s. Don't really worry about bumping my guns though they get put up in their own cases. And it's just the way I always did it for deer hunting confirming zero right before the season started. Also I do it for 23 years in the Army that way. Everytime we rolled out on a mission my ODA would do a quick confirmation zero on the 25 meter range just to make sure our scopes and back up iron sights were good.  So it's kind of just engrained in me.

I shoot all year and honestly don't notice much change especially at ranges I'm killing turkeys. I see rifles affected more, but again not a great deal for the ranges I'm shooting and hunting. I'd say it depends how much "patterning" you need to do. If you're shooting a bunch of different ammos through a bunch of different chokes, I'd go ahead and get started. If you're just looking to confirm zero, sure, wait. All that said, I do tend to avoid stupid cold days. In the South you can usually wait a day or two and be fine.

rakkin6

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 07, 2022, 10:43:53 PM

I shoot all year and honestly don't notice much change especially at ranges I'm killing turkeys. I see rifles affected more, but again not a great deal for the ranges I'm shooting and hunting. I'd say it depends how much "patterning" you need to do. If you're shooting a bunch of different ammos through a bunch of different chokes, I'd go ahead and get started. If you're just looking to confirm zero, sure, wait.

Yeah I am good on load choke so I just wait. And hopefully when I go to pattern it's only minor adjustments I need to make on my red dot from removing my barrels at the end of the season etc. I check my pattern at 20 and 40 yards in both my turkey guns. So in theory I would love to do it with three of my turkey shells for each gun and call it good.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: rakkin6 on February 07, 2022, 10:47:44 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 07, 2022, 10:43:53 PM

I shoot all year and honestly don't notice much change especially at ranges I'm killing turkeys. I see rifles affected more, but again not a great deal for the ranges I'm shooting and hunting. I'd say it depends how much "patterning" you need to do. If you're shooting a bunch of different ammos through a bunch of different chokes, I'd go ahead and get started. If you're just looking to confirm zero, sure, wait.

Yeah I am good on load choke so I just wait. And hopefully when I go to pattern it's only minor adjustments I need to make on my red dot from removing my barrels at the end of the season etc. I check my pattern at 20 and 40 yards in both my turkey guns. So in theory I would love to do it with three of my turkey shells for each gun and call it good.

If you know what the loads have historically done at 20 and you're satisfied with how they open, you shouldn't have to shoot that distance. Just double check zero at the longer range. If you're on at 40 you're surely on at 20.

Ihuntoldschool

Depends on the recoil.   Just a few shots won't hurt too bad.

Dlake79

I was just worried about the temperature changing

rakkin6

If you shoot TSS there is not much change to your pattern with temp change. If you wanted to pattern now. And then maybe fire 1 round right before the season for piece of mind that would be fine.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER