turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Permethrin

Started by Prohunter3509, January 16, 2022, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisiana Longbeard

Can sawyers be applied while hunting or does it have to be beforehand when clothes aren't on the skin?

Number17

Directions say to apply it beforehand and let clothes dry completely, and I do that with dedicated hunting clothes.
I also carry a spray bottle in the truck at all times and mist my pants occasionally through the season, or spray the pants I'm wearing if they aren't treated.

Permethin has a very low toxicity rating for humans when absorbed through the skin. It is metabolized quickly and excreted in your urine.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Big Jeremy

Regardless of its toxicity level to humans, I wouldn't recommend spraying it directly onto clothing that you're wearing. I would only recommend pretreating, and allowing it to dry.

I used Sawyer's for years, and it worked great! In the last couple of years, I've been diluting the concentrate myself and saved quite a bit of money with the same results...no ticks!

One thing I would recommend is to get a hand pump sprayer that is solely for the permethrin mix. I bought a little half gallon hand pump mister when I bought the concentrate the first time, and it made a huge difference. Easier to apply (just pump up the pressure and mist away), takes less time, and easier to spray more evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number17

To treat scabies in humans doctors prescribe a 5% permethrin cream that you rub into your skin. That is 10X stronger directly on your skin compared to the .5% solution I mist on my pants.
I'll take my chances with permethrin over tick diseases every day.

https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-5964-8063/permethrin-topical/permethrin-cream-topical/details
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Dtrkyman

I have lightly hit my lower pant legs with it while wearing them.  Not going through pants and socks to reach skin but I pre treat all my turkey gear for the most part.

roberthyman14

I spray down just about every morning I hunt.  Just a quick mist and go.  I hate ticks.  I even spray my hat.   Then I use a product called swamp gator to keep the gnats and mosquitoes away.   Still use my thermacell once I get setup on those heavy days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

I use Sawyers and never gave it a thought about mixing my own and saving some money. I rotate 3 sets of camo during the season and wash them frequently should they get sweaty. I liked the idea of using a 5 gal bucket to dip my clothes in and putting the leftover mixture in spay bottles.
Never gave it a thought to spray my decoy bag or where I might sit.
Thanks for the tips!