turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Permethrin

Started by Prohunter3509, January 16, 2022, 08:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage

Mightyjoeyoung my can says reapply in six weeks or six launderings. Looks like you don't know what your typing.

Sixes

A couple of my best friends own a mosquito spraying company and permethrin is one of the chemicals that they keep around.  When I need some, I just go by and get some, they don't care.

It's nice having friends like that, one of them is in my hunting club, and he keeps our stands and camp sprayed for mosquitos as well as my backyard and pool area. But, they come over to the pool most weekends, so the spraying benefits them too.

Ticks are the one thing in the woods that concern me. I would hate to contract lyme or Alpha-gal.  I'm a meat eater and that would devastating

Sir-diealot

In addition to my clothes and boots I also spray down the ground in my blind and around my blinds. This year I also sprayed the interior of the blind to help with ticks. Does not help with slugs at all though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

roberthyman14

I spray down with sawyers a few times a season.  But every hunt i spray down with swamp gator.   Works pretty dang good.   Knock on wood.  No tick issues when spraying down.   I hate ticks, grew up in Connecticut and dealt with them daily.  Not as bad here in Florida but still plenty of them.  I was looking for a deer a couple weeks ago before work.   Pulled 2 off my pants and shirt.  I knew I shouoda sprayed down before looking

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls

Neill_Prater

For those who dip their clothes in a solution of permethrin rather than spraying the outer surface, are there any concerns about the increased contact with the skin?

I know, it's not supposed to be toxic, but even so......

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

bwhana

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 11, 2022, 11:09:15 PM
For those who dip their clothes in a solution of permethrin rather than spraying the outer surface, are there any concerns about the increased contact with the skin?

I know, it's not supposed to be toxic, but even so......

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Wear good rubber gloves while applying it.  It can only get into your skin while wet and is when it is dangerous.  Once it has been dried, it can not enter the skin at a significant level, even with sweat, rain, etc.  I use it on all garments and socks except for underwear.

Sungrazer

Bought some yesterday at the farm store, it says 100% permethrin, now I'm thinking I should have bought the 10% that was next to it?

Gentry

Quote from: Sungrazer on February 12, 2022, 12:10:10 PM
Bought some yesterday at the farm store, it says 100% permethrin, now I'm thinking I should have bought the 10% that was next to it?
Never seen 100% permethrin. How big is the bottle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sungrazer

I told a co-worker about the 100% permetherin today and he said I must have read it wrong. He was right, 10%.
I'd better get to the eye Doctor so I can have some new eyes before Turkey season!

Cut N Run

I contracted Falciparum Malaria on Palawan, Philippines in 1988 and it almost killed me.  Malaria did kill several residents in the villages I was visiting.  Malaria made me sick as I've ever been, so I go out of my way to protect against it ever happening again.  Luckily for me, Falciparum is the only strain of malaria that doesn't recur.

I have been using Duration 10% permethrin concentrate for 10-12 years for hunting and travel to the other side of the world.   It is highly effective against all types of mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and black flies.  It definitely lasts through washings, walking through wet vegetation, and rainstorms. It costs around $30 and one bottle is enough to treat hunting and travel clothes for months.  I get it from Travelers Supply and will continue to for the foreseeable future.  It works great.  I bet my life on it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Number17

Quote from: mightyjoeyoung on February 09, 2022, 04:02:16 PM

WRONG.  Permethrin absolutely WILL wash away after one wash.  It will also dilute to an ineffective strength if you get rain soaked enough.   Just because it dries, doesnt mean it is suddenly impervious to water as it is metabolized into water.  It will also lose effectiveness FAST if you leave your clothing in direct sunlight as it degrades in UV light. Know what youre talking about before typing?...

This is simply not true. As the manufacturers suggest, permethrin can last for many weeks and several washings.
I can tell you for a fact that I've had jeans that were treated several weeks prior and washed a handful of times that continue to repel and kill ticks. I keep a spray bottle of homebrew in the truck and mist my pants before heading into the field.
I was helping a buddy in his woods one day and we both looked down and were covered in ticks. The jeans I had on were work jeans that hadn't been treated in weeks and washed several times. I watched the ticks get the crazy legs, roll over and fall off. Every one of them.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Number17

https://www.solutionsstores.com/summit-tick-flea-spray?gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi0k3uwfYuxzSNseBxx7reL8Qhb58caDb7FLPyvV44hzM11WiOnFzHhoC-x4QAvD_BwE#156=895

Make 25 gallons of water based permethrin for $12.99

This is by far the most odor free brand of permethrin I've ever tried and I've been mixing my own for about 10 years.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Snood Life

I tend to trust the manufacturer. I follow the guidelines and have had ZERO issues. I would think Sawyers know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk