OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ms non res drawing?

Started by Paulmyr, January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Never thought about Hunting Ms in my entire lifetime.
They çhanged thier regs for the better so they thought. When is the Miss non res drawing?  Season is 3 months away! How do I apply? Hmmm.......????
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

deerhunt1988

It is for the better. Social media and YouTube has led to drastic increases in non-resident turkey hunting across the nation . Mississippi saw its non-resident turkey hunter numbers increase drastically in just 3 springs. With the vast majority hunting public lands. Nice to see a state looking out for its residents and protecting their public land hunting quality!

Edit: Correction, it was early season license sales that doubled in just TWO years!!!

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wildlife-hunting/pr-spring-turkey-season-changes/

QuoteWith one of the 's earliest opening days, Mississippi always has been a popular destination for traveling hunters hoping to kick off their turkey season before its arrival in their home states. However, non-resident license sales during the season's initial weeks have doubled in the last two years, prompting public calls to address the issue. 

simpzenith

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 09, 2022, 10:54:31 AM
Mississippi saw its non-resident turkey hunter numbers DOUBLE in just 3 springs.

That is incorrect. MS would need an additional 1400+ NR licenses sold in order to actually double the number sold in 2018.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: simpzenith on January 09, 2022, 11:47:10 AM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 09, 2022, 10:54:31 AM
Mississippi saw its non-resident turkey hunter numbers DOUBLE in just 3 springs.

That is incorrect. MS would need an additional 1400+ NR licenses sold in order to actually double the number sold in 2018.

Excuse me, almost doubled. An increase of 3,000 NR turkey permits that are primarily hunting public land the first couple weeks of the season is quite substantial. Not quite double, but a 75% increase.

I got it mixed up with the March license sales doubling.

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wildlife-hunting/pr-spring-turkey-season-changes/

QuoteWith one of the 's earliest opening days, Mississippi always has been a popular destination for traveling hunters hoping to kick off their turkey season before its arrival in their home states. However, non-resident license sales during the season's initial weeks have doubled in the last two years, prompting public calls to address the issue. 

March license sales doubled in two years. Incredible!

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 09, 2022, 06:05:26 AM
Never thought about Hunting Ms in my entire lifetime.
They çhanged thier regs for the better so they thought. When is the Miss non res drawing?  Season is 3 months away! How do I apply? Hmmm.......????
"So they thought" what is that supposed to mean? Yes it is changed for the better. If I was a covid freak I'd of worn an N-95 Mask on our public lands last March due to how crowded they are.

simpzenith

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 09, 2022, 12:58:12 PM
Excuse me, almost doubled. An increase of 3,000 NR turkey permits that are primarily hunting public land the first couple weeks of the season is quite substantial. Not quite double, but a 75% increase.

Actually, it's a 67% increase but that's not important. Did you know that the number of resident turkey hunters, during that same time period, also increased by about 12,000?

Stoeger_bird

Quote from: simpzenith on January 09, 2022, 01:10:31 PM

Actually, it's a 67% increase but that's not important. Did you know that the number of resident turkey hunters, during that same time period, also increased by about 12,000?
So your saying a state that is going through a down cycle in its turkey population saw a very large increase in non resident and resident lisence sales so decided to limit the nonresidents so the people who actually live there have a better experience? I love it! Wish my state would do that but instead we just keep taking opportunity away from everyone instead of the ones who live in the state.  Do u have a problem with how states out west look after their own residents in big game hunting? Seems like thats what MS is doing with turkey. Good for them.
T.W.D.W.D.

simpzenith

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on January 09, 2022, 01:26:48 PM

So your saying a state that is going through a down cycle in its turkey population saw a very large increase in non resident and resident lisence sales so decided to limit the nonresidents so the people who actually live there have a better experience? I love it! Wish my state would do that but instead we just keep taking opportunity away from everyone instead of the ones who live in the state.  Do u have a problem with how states out west look after their own residents in big game hunting? Seems like thats what MS is doing with turkey. Good for them.

I'm not saying anything, just passing along the requested info for the OP and helping pass along correct information in regards to the other poster. I like how MS decided to handle the uptick in license sales. The went about it in the right way imo.

sasquatch1

I've always hunted mississippi, the whole season or until limited as I live close by and my state sucks.

So, I don't like it. However I also didn't like the crowds I saw last year. It seemed like where I hunt tripled in one year. Your first gate better have been where you planned to stay all day. Moving around to other spots through the day was near impossible.

Good for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deerhunt1988

I sure did. 30% increase in resident hunters since 2018.

So non-resident hunting was increasing at a rate over double.

Once again, props to Mississippi for protecting the public land hunting quality for its residents. From the changes we've seen in recent years, don't be surprised if more states follow suit.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: simpzenith on January 09, 2022, 01:36:33 PM

I'm not saying anything, just passing along the requested info for the OP and helping pass along correct information in regards to the other poster. I like how MS decided to handle the uptick in license sales. The went about it in the right way imo.

I have since amended my post. Like previously stated, I had it confused with early season license sales doubling, which is even more concerning. Thanks for catching it!

Looks like we can all agree that it is a win for MS resident public land hunters.

silvestris

What brought on this situation is the failure of the species to keep their mouths shut, whether face-to-face or print or social media.  The cat is out of the bag and kitty ain't going back in.  I would hate to be a new turkey in today's world.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sasquatch1

Quote from: silvestris on January 09, 2022, 03:30:18 PM
What brought on this situation is the failure of the species to keep their mouths shut, whether face-to-face or print or social media.  The cat is out of the bag and kitty ain't going back in.  I would hate to be a new turkey in today's world.
It's the social media fame by far that's the biggest impact. It's All about the likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aclawrence

Alabama has changed up our rules to so hopefully it will knock a little pressure off.  We can only kill one bird within the first ten days of the season and only two off one one wma.  I know we had a group from Arkansas camping out on my local WMA last year and they had killed 3 or 4 gobblers.  If they want to come back they'll have to be content with their one bird and move along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk