turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Montana Videos

Started by Hobbes, February 02, 2022, 10:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I mentioned last year that I hunted the MT opener with a new buddy from Spokane.  John reached out a year or two beforehand about making it to MT.  We kept in touch occasionally and made a plan for 2021.

John has just posted the videos on his channel.

https://youtu.be/j2JGfTCn9KM

There will be 3 Montana videos in total.  I hunt with him the first couple days.  He kills a bird on day 2 and 3. 

I'm not terribly comfortable having a camera pointed at me, so definitely a new experience. I've tried to video a few of my hunts but I'm usually too concerned with killing to create a good video. I don't know that I ever want the chore of recording an entire season. I also have no affiliation with any products that he brings up. I think they are probably good products, I just haven't used them.

I'm not used to hunting with someone that has a preference on how they hunt turkeys because most guys that I get a chance to hunt with haven't hunted them much so they just do things my way.  I hunt a touch different than John when I'm on my own, but he's a good guy and has hunted turkeys a lot in WA and ID.  I didn't mind doing things his way for a couple of days.  I don't think "my way" would have improved any of the outcomes.   

I've said before that I don't like carrying decoys. I know on day two, the bird could have been killed before he even spotted the decoy.  The decoy does help with getting more cool footage, but it's not obnoxious footage.  Turn the volume up on Day 2 when he comes in strutting because he's really spitting and drumming and starts making some cool little whining noises just before he gets killed.  I wasn't there for Day 3 but he's on birds that we scouted the day before and birds that I showed you guys early last year just before season.

I know some folks get uptight about the "YouTubers" and I get it.  I like watching the hunts but do think they should be more discreet about where they are hunting.  Broadcasting to the world that such and such place is covered in turkeys is a sure way to turn it into a circus.  That's hell on the locals, especially those that only get the chance to hunt locally a few weekends a year. 

MO_HUNTER

Tell us a little more about the hunter that just walked in you guys? Sounds like he might have had a track suit on and some gold chains, maybe a flatbill cap!

I used to live in Montana and loved chasing those turkeys around. Some of those folks though, they made it interesting. Happens everywhere though.

Hobbes

We had met him at the trailhead in the dark.  His hat wasn't white, it was just a really faded gray that looked white coming through the woods.  He had camo on other than that.  We thought that he'd hunted the other direction and we were a solid three miles or so from the truck.  We had the bird gobbling and a hen yelping when they suddenly shut up.  The next call we heard was a box call then we saw the guy sneaking towards us.  I'm pretty sure that he'd spotted John's decoy.  He didn't know we were there, but his idea to Yelp his way into the bird wasn't very bright.  The guy wasn't a jerk, he just wasn't terribly experienced with turkeys.

MO_HUNTER

Yeah, makes sense. It happens.Nothing to get bent out of shape on. Sounds like it was a fun trip too!

GobbleNut

Great video all around, Shane.  Always good to find a suicidal two-year old when you are filming!   :D  ...Could tell from the second gobble that he was on a death march.  Hope your Northwest Spur Chaser buddy reciprocates your generosity.  Great stuff!  Thanks for posting the link. 

WiLL B

Hobbes I always look forward to your stories and photography. Y'alls video was good too! Thanks for the link