turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New guns for this coming year?

Started by owlhoot, December 31, 2021, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Bought a new Winchester SX 4 3" 12 gauge with a 26" barrel.
Only invector plus turkey choke that I have is an original Stardot. (Which shot great with the older federal grandslams 3 1/2" 4's and 5's in the X2's 24" and 28").
Was thinking about some of those old lead shells that I have around, various boxes of shells from the big three. Or breaking open that case of 3" Hevi 6's. Also have 30 shells of Winchester XR 6's in 3". Not longbeards , but the tungsten ones.
With todays prices not going TSS with this one.
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them.
Thanks in advance.

RED NECK

When I bring in a new gun, the first choke I either buy or test is a primos tightwad. I have yet to be let down, I believe it to be the best choke for the "money" you can buy,10 dollars-30 dollars,whatever the cost I always pattern with one. I have had great luck with them in invector plus,12 and 20's with lead and tss. Enjoy the new setup.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

oldshotty

My new M37 is a tactical model so its already drilled and taped from Ithaca but after knocking a squirrel out of a huge oak tree this morning at 40 paces I might not mess with a red dot this spring. With a 24" barrel and Ithaca's own made by Briley .675 Turkey choke weighs 6lbs 9oz. a treat to carry.

Ihuntoldschool

Winchester Long Beard will be an excellent choice in that gun if you shoot lead.  Choke, any cheap turkey choke in the 665 to 675 range will do you good. 675 for hunter friendly pattern, 665 for counting holes and 670 for in between compromise.  No sense paying 100 bucks when you can get the same constriction and results for 25-30 or less.   

oldshotty

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on January 01, 2022, 04:46:55 AM
Winchester Long Beard will be an excellent choice in that gun if you shoot lead.

Yes sir, Longbeard 2 3/4 #5's are the plan if the patterns are good.

Tom007

Nice looking gun there, good luck with it.....post your pattern pics....
"Solo hunter"

tnanh

I have an old Stardot choke in Remchoke. It shoots all of my older lead shells very well. Usually puts up 160 or a little better. When I shot it some last year I was very pleasantly surprised because I have built up a large supply of lead in about every  brand. A Ventilator choke also does well with most #6 lead I have shot through it.

b wilt

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on December 31, 2021, 08:30:32 PM
When I bring in a new gun, the first choke I either buy or test is a primos tightwad. I have yet to be let down, I believe it to be the best choke for the "money" you can buy,10 dollars-30 dollars,whatever the cost I always pattern with one. I have had great luck with them in invector plus,12 and 20's with lead and tss. Enjoy the new setup.
Agreed,I have 2 of them, Roger's has them on clearance for 12.99 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old Timer

I have bought so many chokes for the 835 it would make your head spin. I`m going back old school, original choke and Federal #inch #4 lead. The SA-20 will be set up running TSS which is new to me. SA-20 runs well with a Carlsons .575, looking to take a bird with it.