OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg SA-410 w/IC Black Diamond

Started by Hawgfan, February 27, 2022, 10:54:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgfan

New member here. Been lurking for a while. Finally got around to patterning my new SA-410. Best combo was an Indian Creek .385 with Federal Heavyweight TSS 9 shot. This was 30 yards. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawgfan

And 40....

Hawgfan

R.W. Mackey

I have the same gun, really a sweet shooter. You said these results are the best combo, just wondering what other loads and choke constrictions you tried.
  I have an IC 390, shot 9's, and 91/2's. The 91/2 loads definitely patterned better, but was still a little
Open at 40yds for me.
  Trying to find a 380 to pattern. Would be interesting to know if you tried a 390 or 380 choke and what other shells you tried.

RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

Hawgfan

Tried the IC, factory choke, and a Jebs XX Full. Only other shells was some 9.5's. The Jebs shot bad to the right around 5-6" for some reason.

vt35mag

You sure that is the core of your pattern? 
Shoot some big paper so you are seeing the whole picture. 
Even if the Jebs was 5-6in left if it threw a noticeably better pattern, I would get some adjustable sights and get your POA and POI to match with that choke.
Little more tweaking I bet you will have that gobblers neck and head riddled with pellets, especially at 30.

Hawgfan

Yes sir, that's the core of the pattern. Honestly, for 40 yards with a .410 I didn't think that was too terrible. Can't expect a whole lot more from the little bore? I'd love to see some other patterns with recommendations if any of you have pics. Both pics would be graveyard dead.

vt35mag

Quote from: Hawgfan on March 01, 2022, 09:52:37 AM
Yes sir, that's the core of the pattern. Honestly, for 40 yards with a .410 I didn't think that was too terrible. Can't expect a whole lot more from the little bore? I'd love to see some other patterns with recommendations if any of you have pics. Both pics would be graveyard dead.

Huh, I guess I figured it would have thrown up something a little tighter for you.
You are right though, both would be graveyard dead.

squirrel_hunter

I have the mossberg SA 410ga TSS turkey gun.  I am shooting IC and apex ninja ammo in it. My gun also done well with Carlson tss choke.  I have never shot the factory choke yet.

twyatt

Have you tried Foxtrot? This isn't a Mossberg, this was my Stevens 410 with an Indian Creek 390 and Foxtrot 9.5x10, so not apples to apples, but possibly a way to improve.  This was 30 yards.  I went with the 390 because I bought the gun for my 8 year old daughter and wanted the most forgiving 0-30yd pattern I could get, and she won't be shooting over 30 yards.  I wish I had shot it at 40.  After seeing this, I think I'll be using the gun more than her, lol.   I have some Wilson straight 10's on the way too, anxious to see how those shoot.

Oldmason