turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

O/U Shotgun set-up

Started by bdirks, December 18, 2021, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boll Weevil

Google "B-Square cantilever" and it should popup.  I cut mine down, smoothed everything down, and painted.

Ridge Rooster

Know exactly what your talking about. Buddy put one on his SP10 and it is solid.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

diyj98

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on December 19, 2021, 12:32:33 AM
One thing to consider with O/U each barrel will shoot to a different POI as far as elevation.  Obviously how far apart will vary depending on gun, choke, load etc.

Good point.  Another issue is that lower priced over and unders often don't have the barrels well regulated and sometimes shoot to drastically different points of aim.  It may not make a huge difference with open chokes, but with tight turkey chokes tit can make a big difference.

Tom007

Quote from: Boll Weevil on January 03, 2022, 01:06:34 PM
Google "B-Square cantilever" and it should popup.  I cut mine down, smoothed everything down, and painted.

Thank you
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: diyj98 on January 03, 2022, 08:17:54 PM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on December 19, 2021, 12:32:33 AM
One thing to consider with O/U each barrel will shoot to a different POI as far as elevation.  Obviously how far apart will vary depending on gun, choke, load etc.

Good point.  Another issue is that lower priced over and unders often don't have the barrels well regulated and sometimes shoot to drastically different points of aim.  It may not make a huge difference with open chokes, but with tight turkey chokes tit can make a big difference.

I set my Browning Cynergy Turkey with a .660 Choke on the bottom, this is my long range barrel.   I installed a larger Picattiny rail on mine to allow me to install a larger base red dot sight. I set up my Nikon Red Dot sighted in with the lower barrel where the feathers meet the neck, pretty much right on the waddle. My upper barrel shoots a little higher, but I found the Browning Full Strut .650 choke centers my pattern real solid with the Turkey head dead center. If I sit over decoys, I use the spreader choke in the upper barrel with Federal 3rd Degree for the closer 20 yards on in shots. Devastating pattern with that combo. You definitely should check and establish POI with over-under Guns. There are differences in the various manufacturers, but with the right chokes and load combo's, the 2 barrel setup is hard to beat.....
"Solo hunter"

BandedSpur

Excellent advise all. Have my Beretta 686 set up the same way. Bottom (tight) barrel is sighted to red dot (B-Square rib mount). Top (open) barrel hits 3-4" higher. Hold on waddles and he is dead at any reasonable range.

Tom007

Quote from: BandedSpur on January 05, 2022, 07:24:14 AM
Excellent advise all. Have my Beretta 686 set up the same way. Bottom (tight) barrel is sighted to red dot (B-Square rib mount). Top (open) barrel hits 3-4" higher. Hold on waddles and he is dead at any reasonable range.

If you can, post a pic of your setup. Love to see those over-unders.
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

Here's my Yildiz youth 20
Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy mount with Trijicon triangle optic
Sumtoy 562 and 585
I run tss 9s in 562 and usually golden pheasant 7s or 6s in 575 for close

My setup is a little different than most O/U shooters. I shoot long barrel on top mainly due to my red dot sight. I run a Trijicon triangle site and use top of triangle as poa on long barrel. Feel like I can get more accurate sighting. I just cover birds head with entire triangle for close (sometimes quick) shots and the spread does the job. Works out perfectly on POA/POI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: wchadw on January 05, 2022, 04:09:05 PM
Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585

Every time you post it, I want it

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 05, 2022, 10:02:33 PM
Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585

Every time you post it, I want it

X10, that gun is a beauty!!!
"Solo hunter"

laturkeyhunter

Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585

My setup is a little different than most O/U shooters. I shoot long barrel on top mainly due to my red dot sight. I run a Trijicon triangle site and use top of triangle as poa on long barrel. Feel like I can get more accurate sighting. I just cover birds head with entire triangle for close (sometimes quick) shots and the spread does the job. Works out perfectly on POA/POI

Getting everything rounded up for a gun just like that. Going to put a swamp fox kinslayer on it with a meadow creek mount, have a sumtoy 562 and 570 on the way and am probably going to use one of the mossy oak vinyl wraps on it for now. Going to start out trying the federal tss #9. What kind of sling swivel do you have on the front

Tom007

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on January 09, 2022, 12:59:44 AM
Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585

Getting everything rounded up for a gun just like that. Going to put a swamp fox kinslayer on it with a meadow creek mount, have a sumtoy 562 and 570 on the way and am probably going to use one of the mossy oak vinyl wraps on it for now. Going to start out trying the federal tss #9. What kind of sling swivel do you have on the front

Meadow Creek has a new rib mount specifically for over-unders. It allows you to mount it further back, in the first rib opening. Works great......You can get a barrel clamp sling swivel mount for the front. Works great.....good luck with your build.
"Solo hunter"

wchadw

Quote from: laturkeyhunter on January 09, 2022, 12:59:44 AM
Cerakote and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585

I used a screw in swivel sling attachment I think I got at Walmart
The front was too long and I had to grind it down with a dremel a little

magnumgray

I've bEEn shooting the HK Ultra Mag since about 2000.....trulock with  3 inch #6 hevi in the top barrel and modified in the lower with #6 lead 2 3/4 ....

TheSportsman

Beretta 686 onyx 12ga 3" here... top barrel is long range with patternmaster code black .665 with 2 5/16oz 9s and bottom barrel light full factory tube with 2 1/4oz 8.5s