OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking of giving trumpets or wingbones a try

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, February 02, 2022, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 02, 2022, 06:38:33 PM
My goodness, thank you to everyone that suggested me, I am truly humbled.  I have been in the shop daily making calls, trying to keep up with orders. 

Here is an example of a trumpet I charge $100 for.  Cocobolo and Delrin, about the same thing I bring to the woods myself.  This one is headed out to another member on here.

Brian Mero
Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

sbbow

Quote from: callmakerman on February 02, 2022, 01:45:58 PM
If you want to try a yelper without breaking the bank go on ebay. There's a guy selling all cane yelpers that not only look very nice but play easy and sound damn good at 50 dollars. Yes I have one and it will hunt.
X2 I have 1 as well!

Kwgoke

Quote from: sbbow on February 03, 2022, 11:11:20 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on February 02, 2022, 01:45:58 PM
If you want to try a yelper without breaking the bank go on ebay. There's a guy selling all cane yelpers that not only look very nice but play easy and sound damn good at 50 dollars. Yes I have one and it will hunt.
X2 I have 1 as well!

I'm in the same boat as OP. Just decided to get into trumpets a few weeks back, did my research, and now have a trumpet on the way from Mero(the one from the picture in this thread, thanks Brian!), also I'm on the wait list for one from gergg on here, and now I just bought the cane yelper Bill and sbbow recommended. It's a sickness I tell you!

Kygobblergetter

Don't do it!! Just kidding. These things are awesome. But it really is addicting

kloppy

Another vote for Mero. And yes, trumpets are addicting. You know its bad when you're fooling with the things during deer season.

EZ

Quote from: merocustomcalls on February 02, 2022, 06:38:33 PM
My goodness, thank you to everyone that suggested me, I am truly humbled.  I have been in the shop daily making calls, trying to keep up with orders. 

Here is an example of a trumpet I charge $100 for.  Cocobolo and Delrin, about the same thing I bring to the woods myself.  This one is headed out to another member on here.

Brian Mero

Deal of the Century. Beautiful, easy running call....what more could anyone ask.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have a cane yelper on the way.  They look pretty good and come with instructional vids.  Already been checking out the vids.

Random question that's a little off target, what is the typical diameter of a trumpet call?

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 05, 2022, 07:25:31 AM
I have a cane yelper on the way.  They look pretty good and come with instructional vids.  Already been checking out the vids.

Random question that's a little off target, what is the typical diameter of a trumpet call?

If you mean outer diameters, it varies, but somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 0.5" at the throat and 1" at the bell give or take a fuzz. If you mean what's going on internally, that's between the callmaker and God. You will notice most mouthpieces have a few standard internal diameters. Lengths and tapers from there on out, though, again that's between them and their maker.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 05, 2022, 07:34:40 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 05, 2022, 07:25:31 AM

If you mean outer diameters, it varies, but somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe 0.5" at the throat and 1" at the bell give or take a fuzz. If you mean what's going on internally, that's between the callmaker and God. You will notice most mouthpieces have a few standard internal diameters. Lengths and tapers from there on out, though, again that's between them and their maker.

That's what I was looking for.  Thanks!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 05, 2022, 08:33:50 AM
Externally most seem to just about double from throat to bell. But at the bell sometimes it's a real open design and sometimes there's a good bit of meat left.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 05, 2022, 08:40:02 AM
Externally most seem to just about double from throat to bell. But at the bell sometimes it's a real open design and sometimes there's a good bit of meat left.

Seems to me the length can vary a good bit between trumpet makers.

EZ

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on February 12, 2022, 07:28:16 AM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on February 05, 2022, 08:40:02 AM

Seems to me the length can vary a good bit between trumpet makers.

Their internals are all slightly different so the lengths need to match. Plus, some call makers like a slower rollover, some like a quicker call. Call makers do a lot of experimenting and trial and error to come up with a call they really like (at least the good ones do).

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: EZ on February 14, 2022, 07:26:52 AM
Their internals are all slightly different so the lengths need to match. Plus, some call makers like a slower rollover, some like a quicker call. Call makers do a lot of experimenting and trial and error to come up with a call they really like (at least the good ones do).
To piggyback off what Tony's saying, as a general rule, shorter calls are going to play quicker and longer will have the slower roll over. All boils down to the sound you like.

Turkeyman

Don't even think about it. Get in touch with Tony Ezolt and get a wingbone which you'll love and easy to run.