turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 youth pattern issues

Started by backforty, February 22, 2022, 12:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backforty

I am down to one box of federal heavy weight 7's.  I have some longbeard #5 and some federal heavy weight 6's. I have shot both of the above loads out of My Indian creek .555 and my carlsons .575 and did not care for the groups at all. I found and ordered some hevi shot mag blends and a jebs .565 choke. My question is has anybody had any luck getting a good pattern out of any of the above combos. I realize I could shoot TSS but currently not willing to pay the crazy prices right now. I am not a crazy tight pattern guy just want a good even pattern.  Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Print by Madison, on Flickr

Happy

My experience with federal heviweight is it likes a bit more open choke. Something in the .565-.568 range. That was with a mossberg and Winchester 20 gauge though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

huntinsomd

backforty

Quote from: huntinsomd on February 22, 2022, 08:10:08 AM
Try Longbeard 6's.
You find me a box and I would be glad to shoot them.

RED NECK

My 870 20 gauge youth shoots everything I have tried better with a .570 tightwad choke than my carlsons .575, including longbeard 5's. I don't have any pictures of the longbeard 5's but at 40 yards I would use it no questions asked from my setup. Here is the longbeard 6's at 40 yards,I always use a range finder, this is with a .570 tightwad.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

RED NECK

As long as they keep selling longbeard 5 & 6's in 20 gauge that is what I will shoot from this setup.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

backforty

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 22, 2022, 10:19:55 AM
My 870 20 gauge youth shoots everything I have tried better with a .570 tightwad choke than my carlsons .575, including longbeard 5's. I don't have any pictures of the longbeard 5's but at 40 yards I would use it no questions asked from my setup. Here is the longbeard 6's at 40 yards,I always use a range finder, this is with a .570 tightwad.
If my jebs choke doesn't work out I'll have to pick up a tightwad.  Thanks for the info

MattBordas

In my 20 gauge 870s (21" barrels) I got the most consistent patterns with Jebs .565, Carlson LBXR .568, and RSF .572.  I got real good patterns with .555 Jebs and .562 Sumtoy as well but when it came to the higher payloads amd bigger lead shot sizes a lot of things they over choked it and blew my patters. 

backforty

Quote from: MattBordas on February 22, 2022, 08:40:12 PM
In my 20 gauge 870s (21" barrels) I got the most consistent patterns with Jebs .565, Carlson LBXR .568, and RSF .572.  I got real good patterns with .555 Jebs and .562 Sumtoy as well but when it came to the higher payloads amd bigger lead shot sizes a lot of things they over choked it and blew my patters.
I've got a jebs on the way. I'm hoping it makes an improvement over what I'm getting out of the other chokes.

WPA Bowhunter

I'll second the tightwad with fed HW #7s. It is a .570 restriction and for the price tag it's very hard to beat. Also the Remington super full .572 works well.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

backforty

Quote from: WPA Bowhunter on February 24, 2022, 09:48:42 PM
I'll second the tightwad with fed HW #7s. It is a .570 restriction and for the price tag it's very hard to beat. Also the Remington super full .572 works well.
I had no problem patterning the 7's.  Fed heavy weight 6's are another story.

randywallace

Quote from: backforty on February 22, 2022, 09:07:31 PM

I've got a jebs on the way. I'm hoping it makes an improvement over what I'm getting out of the other chokes.

I am not knocking Jebs at all.  They are what I use in all my guns - BUT if you are willing to spend $100 on a choke, why not sling some TSS 8 or 9s if you want a good pattern?  That indian creek .555 can shoot some nice patterns with TSS 9s and the Carlosons can do likewise if you don't like a hot core.

backforty

Quote from: randywallace on February 25, 2022, 10:35:37 AM

I am not knocking Jebs at all.  They are what I use in all my guns - BUT if you are willing to spend $100 on a choke, why not sling some TSS 8 or 9s if you want a good pattern?  That indian creek .555 can shoot some nice patterns with TSS 9s and the Carlosons can do likewise if you don't like a hot core.
I thought about that but I currently have 6 boxes of federal heavy weight 6's and three boxes of long beard #5 that I would like to shoot. I also picked the jebs choke up for 70.

cpreeves

Quote from: randywallace on February 25, 2022, 10:35:37 AM

Agree 100%. At the end of the day, shells are one of the most important pieces of your gear. Unless you're going to hunt multiple states in a year, a box or two of TSS shells will get you through the season