Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Gobbling On A Box For Fall Turkey Hunting.

Started by quavers59, October 06, 2021, 02:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

October  16th is the opener for New York. I have been practicing  as of late on my Turpin Teak Box With a Beech Paddle. I have that Rubberband right where,I want it.
   That Turpin Box gives an Awesome Gobble! On 2 occasions, I got a delayed Gobble and a " Showup" with a Thunderous  Gobble of unfortunately- " where,I Was".
   First time- it was 5 Minutes later when a Gobbler  Gobbled where,I had been. 2nd time- it was 20 minutes and 3 Toms appeared 200 yards down the Woods road and they all Gobbled.  And there,I was- 200 yards away. Straight away to where,I could see them.
    This year,I will stay put with my Orange Hat on. Trees just starting to " color up" with mostly Yellows + Reds right now. Orange Leaves to come soon.
    One good thing about Gobbling on a Box in the Fall is that not many hunters are after Fall Turkeys. Unless a Bow Deer Hunter hears that good Box Gobble and climbs down out of his Tree Stand.
    Hopefully, Get get a Jake or Mature Tom. Letting the Hens walk.
   I hunt Public Dirt. I won't  Gobble in the Spring. Safer in the Fall Though.  This year,I will give it 20 minutes of sitting after Gobbling a Few times on the Turpin Box. And keep my Orange Hat on- LOL!

Greg Massey

Something else that's good to have with you is a Roger Parks gobble pot call... making jake and gobbler yelps ...

Tom007

When I got my Watkins fiddle box from Marlin, he showed me how to gobble on it. It really does sound real. I am no where's near as good as him, but I can make it gobble. Will give it a try this fall. Best of luck to all in the fall.....
"Solo hunter"

crow

Good success to you this fall.  There are some boxes that have a great gobble in them, I like a tube call for gobbling when the chips are down.

If you think your in a good gobbler area I would give it at least an hour after gobbler calling to them myself.