OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Absurd Laws...

Started by GobbleNut, September 06, 2021, 09:11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THattaway

Not hunting related but watched a tv show the other day that stated polygamy was illegal in all 50 states. In the country we now live in with everything that is supposed to be ok and accepted it's illegal for a fella to have an extra wife or two?!!!!

Even mentioned to my wife "honey wouldn't you like having a younger gal around to help with housework?" I was not in the kitchen at the time so I didn't immediately get stabbed. Ha!

All in good fun but it's a messed up world we live in.

Also, Sunday hunting is still not allowed here in SC on public land. I don't care what the intent was to institute the rule but it does provides a day off for game on hard pressed public land and better hunting afterward. Would personally hate to see it change.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Gooserbat

Oklahoma has a rattlesnake season.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: GobbleGitr on September 08, 2021, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: tracker#1 on September 08, 2021, 09:30:44 AM
Can't use #9s in NY but can use #8s for turkey hunting?

Same in Iowa on no #9, and when I ask DNR about it, they don't want to hear or see any data on heavier metal ballistics...no .410 either.  Nothing wrong with honoring tradition...but being data driven should be a part of management and hunting rulemaking
Correct, I bought some #8 for Iowa this past season. I was actually going to mention this law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scattergun

Quote from: Gooserbat on September 08, 2021, 04:11:16 PM

So? I heard rattlesnake tastes good.

Yoder409

PA has one, too.

You have to have a special license and you're only allowed to kill ONE male a minimum of 42 inches.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

bbcoach

I would have to say, Wisconsin's Doe Tag Draw and Harvest is pretty absurd.  Each county has their own quotas.  Some counties will give you 3 doe tags with your buck license and some you have to draw a tag.  In the counties where you have to draw that tag, you have to specify whether you will be hunting Farm land or Forest land within that county and then you have to specify whether you are hunting Public or Private land within that county.  Too much oversight and regulation by WI DNR IMHO. 

silvestris

Quote from: Yoder409 on September 08, 2021, 07:16:30 PM

You have to have a special license and you're only allowed to kill ONE male a minimum of 42 inches.

How do you tell whether a snake is male or female until one gets on top?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TauntoHawk

Quote from: silvestris on September 12, 2021, 08:28:42 AM

You need to live catch it, sex it and measure it and then you are allowed to dispatch and register your tag

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Southerngobbler

Quote from: TauntoHawk on September 12, 2021, 09:27:51 AM
Quote from: silvestris on September 12, 2021, 08:28:42 AM

You need to live catch it, sex it and measure it and then you are allowed to dispatch and register your tag

Sounds like they're purposely trying to get you bit. Sounds like something Fauci would come up with while he's meanwhile selling the anti venom.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

:TooFunny: @ southerngobbler.  Truth!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Will

Search Pennsylvania rattlesnake hunting on YouTube. It's insane. These guys have a set of stones!

Yoder409

It's my understanding that you have to count the number of scales between the vent and the rattles.  They catch them with a hook or tongs.........stick them head first into a clear plastic tube........and look at the snake's butt.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.