OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Younger Generation/Older Generation Obligations

Started by Jstocks, August 31, 2021, 11:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Turkeyhunt88 there were a few wise old men on that old site and you learned well from them and taught me a thing or two!!

Jstocks

Quote from: 3bailey3 on September 01, 2021, 08:03:16 PM
Turkeyhunt88 there were a few wise old men on that old site and you learned well from them and taught me a thing or two!!

There's some really good ones on this site. Several have put in on this thread.

Howie g

Well ,  I'm a smart —- in general . So my smart - - -  usually spills over into my comments on this forum also .
  I like reading what most of you have to say about turkeys .  Never to old to still learn from others , but I mostly just laugh at the majority of post on here . 

GobbleNut

Regardless of the age of the person, I always start off looking for the good in every individual and treating them with respect.  Most often, that respect is returned.  The occasions where that is not the case are pretty rare from what I have seen,...especially on this site. 

As for the subject of mentoring, I try to offer constructive input where it appears to be wanted,...but that input is always going to be limited to my own personal experience.  Since I am in the "old dude" category at this stage, and have probably had the opportunity to hunt many more days and in more places that a lot of folks here, I assume that some of the commonalities that I have seen in the various places I have hunted may be helpful to pass on to others.  Maybe they will be helpful, and maybe not.  Ultimately, that has to be sorted out by the person applying them wherever they hunt.

Conversely, I also listen openly to other opinions about the subjects discussed here and have often found myself giving those opinions serious consideration and applying them when it seems proper.  Again, though, most of the time that consideration has nothing to do with the age of the persons involved.  For the most part, I make no assumptions regarding people based on their age.  Those assumptions are invariably based on how those folks treat others.   :icon_thumright: :)

eggshell

well, there's another angle to consider. The oldelr we get the more help we need from the younger guys. Help like, go on down the trail young man, leave the bird close to the road for the old man with a bum knee, breathing problems and a heart condition. Advise to the old goats, learn how to look real pitiful and to cough up flem on demand. Some of those younguns will feel bad for you and let you have that prime spot. Of course some will just run on by you and laugh, but assh@les have no age group

Just kidding now

jhoward11

If someone wants my opinion, they will ask for it. As part of this forum, we can give our opinion, to questions ask, and let others decide if it's something that would benefit them. Only obligation in life is to tell Gods story...of course my opinion!

Greg Massey

Older generations have years of experience to share with the younger generations. The younger guys can spend years in trying to gain the knowledge us older guys have experience. I feel everyone can draw wisdom form each other old or young, it's all about sharing the wisdom, values and traditions we have learned from growing up. I myself have always enjoyed trying to help people regardless of the situation. We are all here to learn from each other and to share our life stories. It's also important for all people to realize all lives matter in carrying on these traditions that we have experienced and the skills acquired in learning all these life changing memories. I just feel we all have knowledge to share with one another. I have learned a lot over the years regardless the age of people from this forum. So it's important to share our thoughts, memories and failures with others. Like i have told people on this forum you can message me anytime and let's talk about turkey hunting, buying calls or how's your day going. I just feel being one of the older dudes i have obligation in helping others. IMO...

TurkeyReaper69

I didn't come on OG to find a life mentor who will warn me of posting smart  comments online and instill maturity in me, however if any of you Old Pros wanna teach a young gun how to use a wingbone, that'd be much appreciated.

But on a serious note, how many guys under 35 are even active on this site? I enjoy this site rather than a turkey hunting group on FB or debating with some guy in your favorite youtubers comment section because theirs a higher level of intelligence and maturity and hunting experience in this group compared to other hunting related media outlets on the web. I have always suspected the reasoning behind that to be because its a predominately older crowd. And with age, comes maturity.

As much as I'd love to proclaim myself as a 100% self taught turkey hunter, I had an older fella throw me a few bones at one point. I'm always open to constructive criticism.

guesswho

I spread and share a lot of wisdom, and even more wisdumb, so take what I say for what's it's worth.    It I usually only spread it when asked.   If I don't have any wisdom to share when asked, I'll make up some good sounding wisdumb.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Sixes

I'm too old to ask questions and too dumb to answer them.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Jstocks on August 31, 2021, 11:34:35 PM
Just some wandering thoughts, but somewhat serious.

For the younger guys (let's say under 35):
Do you guys want mentorship in life?

For example, let's say that you are noticeably aggressive in your posts, always thread hijacking, responding to posts with answers that were not solicited. Would you want one of the older guys to tell you how it is coming off to others, or would you rather go on being your arrogant self imparting your seeming less endless years of wisdom on the rest of us while unbeknownst to yourself making a fool?

For the older guys (35 up):
Is it this age groups obligation to set the lads straight, whether they ask for it or not?
Publicly?
Privately?

This pertains to all subjects on the forum(hunting, shooting, dealing with life, etc)
Jstocks, it's not a question of age, it's the person. Some people are like that regardless of their age. Most posters that I see that are like that, also don't take well to suggestions. People are people, some are nice and appreciate the mentoring, some not so much.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on September 02, 2021, 03:20:13 PMhowever if any of you Old Pros wanna teach a young gun how to use a wingbone, that'd be much appreciated.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.