turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Covid Vaccine--Who Got It?

Started by gatrapper, August 31, 2021, 03:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

My wife and I were vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine early February, second dose, early March. Some of our kids were vaccinated well before then with the Pfizer because of their jobs. My wife had basically no reaction, I felt fine until the 3rd day after the 1st dose, when I developed a headache and just general malaise.  Woke up the next morning with no residual effects.

Second dose, the following day, I felt rough, basically just like the flu, with headache, chills and a fever. If I was still working, probably couldn't have made it that day. Next morning, again, totally fine. If I am offered a booster, I will take it in a heartbeat.

Any medication, or vaccine carries some risk. I honestly believe if the pandemic had happened in any year other than 2020, the attitudes and response to COVID-19 and the vaccines would have been substantially different. If the current climate had been the case in the 1950's, we would probably still be visiting polio patients in iron lungs.

Despite internet theorists views to the contrary, COVID-19 can, and does, kill with some regularity. Certain underlying health conditions can certainly contribute to the possibility of one's demise if infected, but, being as healthy as a horse doesn't guarantee that you, or a loved one, won't succumb to the illness, or, at the very least, spend some not so quality time, often weeks, in the ICU hooked to a ventilator.

The facts and data show that there's a significant chance of death or serious illness if you contract COVID-19 as an unvaccinated individual, and that being vaccinated substantially reduces that risk. The data also clearly shows the vaccine is overwhelming safe and effective.

The reluctance to be vaccinated, honestly, I don't get. The idea that anyone would not be vaccinated simply because they don't like being told what to do, is, in my opinion, absurd. If you were diagnosed with diabetes, for example, would you refuse to take insulin just because your doctor told you to?

I believe in free choice, but we don't live in a bubble. Our individual choices often can effect others. I saw on the news last night that a man in Texas died from a gallbladder infection and pancreatitis because they couldn't find an ICU bed for him in Texas or a bordering state. Maybe if just one more person had been vaccinated.........

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: Neill_Prater on September 02, 2021, 12:07:53 AM

The reluctance to be vaccinated, honestly, I don't get. The idea that anyone would not be vaccinated simply because they don't like being told what to do, is, in my opinion, absurd. If you were diagnosed with diabetes, for example, would you refuse to take insulin just because your doctor told you to?

Overall, your response is very well written. I was kind of surprised that you honestly don't get the reluctance to be vaccinated. You think it's because we don't like being told what to do?

For me personally, beside some very credible scientists highly worried about long term affects of the vaccine, coupled with an overall survival rate (among un-vaccinated) of around 99.6% and a gov't. that has provably lied to us time after time on subject after subject raises red flags with me.

At this point, in my own little world, I know more people who have had very bad experiences with the vaccine (blood clots in lungs, paralysis) than have died of the virus. 

Quote from: Neill_Prater on September 02, 2021, 12:07:53 AMI believe in free choice, but we don't live in a bubble. Our individual choices often can effect others. I saw on the news last night that a man in Texas died from a gallbladder infection and pancreatitis because they couldn't find an ICU bed for him in Texas or a bordering state. Maybe if just one more person had been vaccinated.........

Or maybe if we didn't have a gov't letting unvetted, untreated foreigners literally pour over our southern border.....the Texas border?

Bolandstrutters

I'm a member of the unrecognized natural immunity club.  Actually had both variants with no symptoms either time other than the sniffles. 

GobbleNut

Quote from: Neill_Prater on September 02, 2021, 12:07:53 AM

Any medication, or vaccine carries some risk. I honestly believe if the pandemic had happened in any year other than 2020, the attitudes and response to COVID-19 and the vaccines would have been substantially different. If the current climate had been the case in the 1950's, we would probably still be visiting polio patients in iron lungs.

Despite internet theorists views to the contrary, COVID-19 can, and does, kill with some regularity. Certain underlying health conditions can certainly contribute to the possibility of one's demise if infected, but, being as healthy as a horse doesn't guarantee that you, or a loved one, won't succumb to the illness, or, at the very least, spend some not so quality time, often weeks, in the ICU hooked to a ventilator.

The facts and data show that there's a significant chance of death or serious illness if you contract COVID-19 as an unvaccinated individual, and that being vaccinated substantially reduces that risk. The data also clearly shows the vaccine is overwhelming safe and effective.

I believe in free choice, but we don't live in a bubble. Our individual choices often can effect others. I saw on the news last night that a man in Texas died from a gallbladder infection and pancreatitis because they couldn't find an ICU bed for him in Texas or a bordering state. Maybe if just one more person had been vaccinated.........

1000% spot on!   :icon_thumright:

joey46

Wife and I both had Modera in Feb and March.  Reactions pretty mild.  We think she had the virus in December of 1999 when it was still a puzzle.  Maybe/maybe not.  Would both take a booster if available.  We don't make a federal case about it but try an avoid those who brag about being unvaccinated.  No reason to take a chance.  We are both in our 70s.

NCL

My wife and I both had he Moderna vaccination in February and March we both experienced a sore arm for about a day or two, felt like someone had punched my arm. The day after I had had the second dose I felt kind of bad, my wife no effects, but I have the same effects some times from a medication I take so it may not have been the vaccine. I had two doctor visits only a few weeks prior to the vaccination and both doctors strongly advised getting the vaccination. I tend to follow the advise of experts in a field be it electrician, for electrical problems, plumber for plumbing problems and doctors medical problems.

Mu daughter and I were discussing the vaccination the other day and she posed an interesting question. She asked "how long before health insurance companies quit covering hospital stays for unvaccinated covid patients?". I do not know the answer but it is an interesting question. My biggest fear is contracting covid and ending up in the hospital and amassing a huge bill.

PalmettoRon

That won't happen re: insurance not covering the unvaccinated, although they could raise the premiums on the unvaccinated much as health insurance companies have the right to add a surcharge to smokers.

Seems reasonable on the front end, but by potentially pricing out smokers from acquiring health insurance, the cost is passed on to all, as doctors and hospitals do not deny care. The same would potentially occur if a surcharge were to be added to the insurance premiums of the unvaccinated.

Turkeyman

My wife (Pfizer) and I (Moderna) both had shots last spring. Hers was a no-brainer...four time cancer survivor with resultant compromised immune system, plus an autoimmune disease. However, I do understand people's reluctance/right, whatever their reason may be, to not get the vaccine. But, at the same time, I don't want my freedom of activities curtailed because they refuse to get the vaccine. You know as well as I that this may never go away...a different variant every year or so, not unlike the flu. So, perhaps in another five to ten years the virus will weed out another several million worldwide. Some of those I expect to have been vaccinated, the majority unvaccinated. JMO.

the Ward

Nope won't get it. It's not a real vaccine so no thanks. These corona  threads are getting like the decoy vs no decoy, blind vs no blind ones. At least those are about turkey hunting. And the poster who said unvaccinated people who get sick shouldn't go to the hospital? Nice. Just showed me what kind of people that are out there. Don't worry, if i get sick i won't go to the hospital, i will save the bed for those better than me. And if the Good Lord decides its my time, then its my time. Me and Him already had this discussion when i had cancer, and i am not going to sit around in knee knocking terror over a virus that has something like a 98% survival rate.I wasn't going to post in this thread, but it made my blood boil when someone says sick people should stay home because getting ill is their fault. I think if someone wants to get the shot, then go for it, i don't care either way. I've said my peace and i will refrain from posting again in anymore corona threads.

RutnNStrutn

I'm not getting it. Too much misinformation coming from the government, too many bad reactions, too many people I know got Covid AFTER getting vaxxed, etc. A friend of mine who is a nurse got his vax months ago, wears gloves, gowns and a N95 mask when he's at work, and is religious about washing his hands and hygiene. He got Covid anyway after all that. My wife's cousin got vaxxed, got Covid from it and spent a week in the hospital. I could go on and on. The vax is not a true vaccine, it was rushed through, and I don't trust it.
Plus I live out in the country, limit my exposure to others, wear my mask, wash my hands and use hand sanitizer when I'm out, and am on a heavy dose of recommended vitamins to help ward off Covid. I have a very strong immune system, and rarely get sick. I'm just going to roll the dice, pray to the Lord that I don't get it and continue doing what I have been. It's worked so far.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Dtrkyman

No thanks, I am healthy and rarely in situations where I would be confined with groups of people.  I know a lot of people who have had it at this point, only one of which was seriously sick.

I understand it can be deadly, I am not denying that, do what makes you sleep at night.

JeffC

Moderna, March & April, couple of days of not feeling 100%. Thank you Mr. Prater, very well spoken. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

nativeks

I was a holdout for a long time. I still have zero interest in an mRNA shot. I do not trust them. J&J was the only vaccine I was interested in. Last week I felt like I had enough data I was comfortable with the shot. Our onsite clinic administered it. Sore arm for about 1 day.

My wife is a Medical Technologist (some places call it Medical Labratory Scientist) for the largest hospital/medical provider in the region. Lately her job has turned into covid test central. Our local hospital averages 63 phone calls trying to find an ICU bed. The average transfer distance has ballooned to 232 miles instead of 60. If you mention Covid many hospitals wont take them. My brother is a paramedic. He took a covid positive critical pt over 300 miles last night to another facility. I currently have a 27 yr old cousin who is very sick with it. My wife did say that of their covid hospitalizations 83% are unvaccinated.

Frankly I am 100% on board with it being a personal choice. Our county hasbeen mask free since the beginning of the year. You can walk around town and never see a mask. No masks in schools. We went to Branson on vacation and nobody wore masks. The only place I wear one is work, and that is because they mandate it for the unvaccinated. Next Wednesday I will be considered fully vaccinated and won't have to wear one there either. You go one county west where my wife works and it is rampant. They are full on mask mandate, schools with masks, etc. Do what makes you happy.  I rarely get a flu shot, and I have never ever worried about it.

derek

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 01, 2021, 08:39:07 AM
I knew I'd likely be flying to hunt during Spring 2021 and didn't want any "vaccination status" nonsense to interfere with my plans.

This influenced me as well..  glad I'm not the only one!  I was really looking forward to that trip.. and I was just waiting for proof of vaccination being required to be able to fly.  Kinda surprised this hasn't happened yet.  Me making that trip was far more important than me not having the shot.  Plus I got 75 bucks from my place of employment (woot) 

I got the Moderna. No issues from either dose. 

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

RND1983

Part of my decision to get was to also be able to travel in spring 2021.