OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 ga/w26" barrel

Started by kyhareraiser, February 13, 2011, 02:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyhareraiser

just wondering is a 20 ga using 3" shells good enough to kill turkeys and if so,at what distance are they best at..my ole' 12 flat lays them down but i came across a deal on a 20 and if it holds as good pattern as my ole' grandpappys did when i hunted with it ,,whooo-weee the gobblers better be-gone ..what do y'all think aboout using the 20

njdevilsb

In short, yes. 40 yards isn't a problem with the right chokes and loads.  A lot of people like the Hevi 13 #7's, me included.  I use an 870 with a 28" barrel.

What type of gun did you come across?

R AJ

Is it a fixed choke? A 20 using 3" shells with certain chokes and loads can be 50 yard  guns . It is my go to gun of choice in woods situations where it gets up close and personal. Even a fixed full choke and lead can be a 30 yard gun for sure but most setups with HTL loads and chokes are good up to 40 yards.

Most of my shots are under 30 yards and the 20 certainly fills that situation.

hookedspur

Quote from: njdevilsb on February 13, 2011, 04:42:01 PM
In short, yes. 40 yards isn't a problem with the right chokes and loads.  A lot of people like the Hevi 13 #7's, me included.  I use an 870 with a 28" barrel.

What type of gun did you come across?
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Tranz

Pattern from my 20ga w/26" barrel. Center ring represents 20" circle @ 40 yards...outer ring is 30".

kyhareraiser

the gun is a mossberg 535 accu-choke.it has the full choke in it and the old-timer found the mod. choke and one more of some sort he said plus the wrench... hope its a turkey choke but since he never used it for that i doubt it.. what would be a good type of turkey choke so i can reach out there at ole' tom turkey

Tranz

Something between .555 and .570 and use Federal 3" Heavy Weight #7 shells. I use a Rob Roberts "Final Strut" .570 in my Beretta w/26" barrel.

Good Luck.

WyoHunter

I love my 26" barrelled Beretta 391 in 20 ga. Last year it put down a nice gobbler at 48 paces using Hevi-13 7's with a HS High Density choke tube. The bird flopped twice and that was that!  :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

R AJ

The Hastings .562 and Fed Hw #7s is good in that gun, How much is he willing to spend on choke,shells?