turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mountain birds

Started by Old Timer, May 26, 2022, 04:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Spent 2 days this week in the mountains with my son trying to get on some birds. Brought the wife with me and she got to spent time with grandkids while we did are thing. The 2nd day I got a response and we figured we were so high up that he was on another adjacent hill. We backed out came in later in the morning behind  the other hill. Well I got him going with my Grand Old Master box call. Since my hearing isn`t the best I relied on my son for his location and distance. We worked him for1.5 hours till noon end of hunting time in NY. He gobbled, double gobbled, triple gobbled 50 times if he gobbled once. I pulled all the tricks in the book I could think of. Leaf scratching, soft calls, silent treatment, moving on him and I could not get that old boy to break. At noon time my son stood up and said with a big smile Dad wasn`t that fun!
As bad as I wanted to harvest that bird I new I came up on the winning end after I heard that statement.
We had a great father - son hunt you can`t buy that. Thanks guys for listening. God bless you all

Tom007

Great story, fantastic memory. I know this may sound funny, but some of my best hunts are when I don't harvest a bird. I love getting out-smarted by an Old Tom. Keeps me humble! Makes the chase so much more rewarding once you finally connect. Great story, sounds like he will be a future Turkey hunter...
"Solo hunter"

Gmed

Quote from: Old Timer on May 26, 2022, 04:03:21 PM
Spent 2 days this week in the mountains with my son trying to get on some birds. Brought the wife with me and she got to spent time with grandkids while we did are thing. The 2nd day I got a response and we figured we were so high up that he was on another adjacent hill. We backed out came in later in the morning behind  the other hill. Well I got him going with my Grand Old Master box call. Since my hearing isn`t the best I relied on my son for his location and distance. We worked him for1.5 hours till noon end of hunting time in NY. He gobbled, double gobbled, triple gobbled 50 times if he gobbled once. I pulled all the tricks in the book I could think of. Leaf scratching, soft calls, silent treatment, moving on him and I could not get that old boy to break. At noon time my son stood up and said with a big smile Dad wasn`t that fun!
As bad as I wanted to harvest that bird I new I came up on the winning end after I heard that statement.
We had a great father - son hunt you can`t buy that. Thanks guys for listening. God bless you all
Aren't those mountain birds a blessing and a curse? Love hunting them with my boy too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

That Grand old master is a gobble getter!

Turkeyman

I cut my teeth on mountain birds. My favorite to hunt. When I would hear a bird on the next ridge...down 1K or more feet, up 1K or more feet on the other side to get on the same ridge I was on the way...without hesitation. But alas, time takes its toll.

Old Timer

Quote from: Turkeyman on May 26, 2022, 06:47:29 PM
I cut my teeth on mountain birds. My favorite to hunt. When I would hear a bird on the next ridge...down 1K or more feet, up 1K or more feet on the other side to get on the same ridge I was on the way...without hesitation. But alas, time takes its toll.
Your right Turkeyman day 3 was a no go for me!

TrackeySauresRex

Beautiful! I cherish every day I hunt with my son <3
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

bonasa

Sounds like a great hunt. I had many of those with my dad growing up, we never hunted fields where we lived. Nothing but ridge running, had many a bird drumming so close and we never saw them. Beginning my turkey career in the Appalachians made me a much better turkey hunter today and I am sure your boy will say the same thing!