Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Have You Been Relegated To Guide/Caller For Close Friends?

Started by quavers59, July 23, 2021, 09:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Has anybody hêre "Given" up their Spring and or Fall Turkey Opening Days as well as many Prime Early Season Days  to help out a close friend and or family member?
    I have enjoyed this early on. Problem is, I am getting Tired or Burnt out Mentally and then physically late in the Spring Season when,I am now hunting alone and looking for Tom #2 when,I should have been tagged out earlier- which then would have freed up time for Another State.
     Of course thêre have been alot of Spookings and misses over the Top because of Turkey Fever and then,I have to give up more Prime early days.
     As a "Nice Guy",I have a problem saying no. Next Spring however,I may have to say- As soon as,I tag out-- I can help you. And, I would be able to hunt more prime early days in State #2.
    I would like to get back to bagging 3 or 4 a year- not getting any Younger..
   Has anybody else hêre been relegated to " Guide/Caller?

ol bob

BigSlam51

There comes a time when they need to start calling for themselves. But yes I have spent numerous days calling for friends when I could of been hunting myself. I enjoy it though.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Just the grandkids.  And next spring probably my son in law.  I've always kept opening day for myself.  I've "guided" and called for several people, but the opener is all mine.  I don't feel guilty about that.  I treasure the first hunt of the year and love the solitude and opening day gobble.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

Yes, and I actually enjoy it. I have been there and done it before so seeing others experience it for the first time or three is a plus. I do agree that eventually these people need to learn for themselves though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HookedonHooks

If you're taking the same buddy over and over that's one thing, and if you're just hunting together that's another.

I will say, everyone only gets one first turkey, so if you're often taking first timer friends there will be frustrations/hiccups along the way but being apart as many of those "first turkey" experiences is one of the things I have enjoyed about my last few springs and wouldn't trade that for more days afield by myself.

guesswho

Nobody wants to hunt with me, so I don't have that problem.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Which Gun

I'm there. The first ones I really enjoy. It's when they want you to continue to call for them that gets me.

El Pavo Grande

I've killed only a few on opening day in my home state, but I've seen a lot die on opening day.  If it's my brother, one of my boys, or my main hunting partner, I'm all for it.  Several I know just want to shoot one to say they did or post for others to see.  I avoid those anymore.   If they haven't invested effort or interest in turkey hunting I am cautious and selective on who I hunt with anymore. 

hotspur

I have. When hnting with my buddies, they will say call that sucker up hear , and point their gun in the direction of the gobbles. Funny thing is most times I end up shooting him. The gobbler I mean. If they would call the gobbler would come to them.

silvestris

This "calling one up for a buddy" business  is along with social media posts a major factor in the decline of turkey hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wchadw

310 gauge

Like Chad said the short answer is "yes"......however starting last year I told friends to supply the "turkey woods" and I would
provide all the rest of the ingredients to get to cooking!!!

Yoteduster

I always tag out first then I'll happily help anybody that needs help

Old Timer

Yes I use to do it often. Problems have risen when newbies do not listen. I have enjoyed teaching young and older with success, nothing like it, very rewarding. Some I will hunt with again some never. How I handle it now is when im asked I say do you have a place?  I will take you but after I hunt on my own and tag a bird (not their place). If someone is sincere and will pay attention and learn their in.