only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi non-resident regulations pending

Started by arkrem870, July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 01, 2021, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM
https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/spring-turkey-season-changes-proposed-for-non-residents-in-mississippi/amp/

Looks like loose lips have done it again. Thanks youtubers.  Where will hunting opportunity be lost next as a result?  Gotta have that hunter recruitment......you know. For the sport
Not that I am for or against youtubers that post ETHICAL hunts, but how do you equate this to them when I have been reading about how great turkey hunting is there since the early to mid 90's?

Not directed at me, but in my opinion it's simple math.  Social media is now in the palm of your hands, accessible 24/7 to millions.  Look at how many subscribers on YouTube or Facebook some of them have.  Look at all the FB hunting groups that share information.  It's not comparable to print and it's another level way above forums.  One of the most well known lists 378,000 YouTube Subscribers.  One video of state specific public turkey hunts show to have been viewed 200,000 times.  That's just one of many videos, and that's just one group.  Do the math. 

silent tom

It's going to be a trickle down effect with other states following suit. 

The sport of turkey hunting cannot handle the increase of hunters like it is experiencing. I'm sorry- it just can't.  We do not need more hunters. Plain and simple. 

So far- it's mainly the southern states affected.  But for those of you around the country- this is headed your way soon if something isn't done. 

Kentucky is eye balling season changes and have heard Ohio is also.
As more and more states see the hunter numbers increase, we will see more regs as a result. 

More hunters does not mean more turkeys. 

sasquatch1

Quote from: silent tom on August 01, 2021, 07:30:19 PM

The sport of turkey hunting cannot handle the increase of hunters like it is experiencing. I'm sorry- it just can't.  We do not need more hunters. Plain and simple. 

So far- it's mainly the southern states affected.  But for those of you around the country- this is headed your way soon if something isn't done. 

As more and more states see the hunter numbers increase, we will see more regs as a result. 

But but, it means more to go around and average with everyone.

You know, we have to leave some birds as participation kills for newbies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sir-diealot

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on August 01, 2021, 05:48:17 PM
https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/spring-turkey-season-changes-proposed-for-non-residents-in-mississippi/amp/

Looks like loose lips have done it again. Thanks youtubers.  Where will hunting opportunity be lost next as a result?  Gotta have that hunter recruitment......you know. For the sport
Not that I am for or against youtubers that post ETHICAL hunts, but how do you equate this to them when I have been reading about how great turkey hunting is there since the early to mid 90's?

Not directed at me, but in my opinion it's simple math.  Social media is now in the palm of your hands, accessible 24/7 to millions.  Look at how many subscribers on YouTube or Facebook some of them have.  Look at all the FB hunting groups that share information.  It's not comparable to print and it's another level way above forums.  One of the most well known lists 378,000 YouTube Subscribers.  One video of state specific public turkey hunts show to have been viewed 200,000 times.  That's just one of many videos, and that's just one group.  Do the math.
I would argue that books and magazines get passed from person to person, I know mine get read by multiple people and I know of others that do the same and that has been going on since print has been available to the masses.

I do agree that videos are easier to watch than reading a book is and thus is done more these days, I see few that still read and that is truly sad but to blame one thing for the problems without acknowledging the others is foolish at best. It reminds me of those that want to blame violence on video games or any form of music that is not Classical.

Quote from: sasquatch1 on August 01, 2021, 08:43:42 PM

I am not sure I understand this statement, surely if it helps to conserve (Not preserve) the wild turkey and any game animal why would lowering a limit not be a wise idea? I see people say there is nothing that shows it helps, but I have seen nothing that shows it does not help at all. I am not talking about stopping people from hunting multiple states, have at it, I am talking about states that are complaining about lack of population and still allow more than two birds and killing hens. Viewing your statement from that aspect makes your comment come off as {Forget the other hunters and forget the turkey, so long and I get mine I will hunt them to extinction.} I hope I misunderstand.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 02, 2021, 10:23:43 AM

I would argue that books and magazines get passed from person to person, I know mine get read by multiple people and I know of others that do the same and that has been going on since print has been available to the masses.

I do agree that videos are easier to watch than reading a book is and thus is done more these days, I see few that still read and that is truly sad but to blame one thing for the problems without acknowledging the others is foolish at best. It reminds me of those that want to blame violence on video games or any form of music that is not Classical.

I am not sure I understand this statement, surely if it helps to conserve (Not preserve) the wild turkey and any game animal why would lowering a limit not be a wise idea? I see people say there is nothing that shows it helps, but I have seen nothing that shows it does not help at all. I am not talking about stopping people from hunting multiple states, have at it, I am talking about states that are complaining about lack of population and still allow more than two birds and killing hens. Viewing your statement from that aspect makes your comment come off as {Forget the other hunters and forget the turkey, so long and I get mine I will hunt them to extinction.} I hope I misunderstand.
No, I'm all for the wild Turkey!! I don't like being limited from what I use to have to "spread the wealth. Which is what is happening.

Less birds per person but 3x the amount of people is a net LOSS.

Your missing what's happening, these videos and states getting together brought so much new and un needed attention to the sport that now restrictions are being throw out that limit us all. All of us that's been at this LONG before people used it for Instagram picture game!

A large portion of the new hunters running around out there are the ones that really don't care about the wild Turkey, all they care about is looking cool to strangers on the Internet.

Once hunting is a "FAD" like it is now, it's over with.

Look at duck hunting in the last 10 years. I grew up duck hunting since a child and my god have the duck dynasty mud boat hunters changed the game.

El Pavo Grande

Sir-diealot,
Absolutely, irresponsible printed journals play a role as well.  Even with print, I've never understood highlighting specific public land.  Is it necessary?  I don't think so.  Share way with stories, share away with educational and instructional information, and share away with pictures.  Just be responsible and don't share specific information. 

I've never stated folks don't gather information from magazines or newspaper articles.  But, the accessibility and the volume of information that technology has afforded social media platforms is on a much different level.  I really don't know what else to say about that.  Obviously it's more wide spread, but if your magazine is shared with 5 - 10 people, and consisting of 10% (?) public land highlighting.  Let's say 1,000 people share magazines with 5 people, which seems high to be honest.  One single state specific turkey hunting video (100% public land highlighting) was viewed (on YouTube alone, not considering other platforms) 461,000 times.  Let me repeat....461,000 views.  Sure, factor in a few that viewed or clicked on it more than once.   That's only ONE video example.  Is all comparable??  I'll stand behind the statement, "Do the math".   

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on August 02, 2021, 12:28:26 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 02, 2021, 10:23:43 AM

No, I'm all for the wild Turkey!! I don't like being limited from what I use to have to "spread the wealth. Which is what is happening.

Less birds per person but 3x the amount of people is a net LOSS.

Your missing what's happening, these videos and states getting together brought so much new and un needed attention to the sport that now restrictions are being throw out that limit us all. All of us that's been at this LONG before people used it for Instagram picture game!

A large portion of the new hunters running around out there are the ones that really don't care about the wild Turkey, all they care about is looking cool to strangers on the Internet.

Once hunting is a "FAD" like it is now, it's over with.

Look at duck hunting in the last 10 years. I grew up duck hunting since a child and my god have the duck dynasty mud boat hunters changed the game.

That makes a bit more sense to me. I do feel we are at a point we are forced to limit ourselves or we will lose them altogether like the Dodo or other things that were not managed properly and that is something I do not want to see happen. I would rather have to get one a year for 20 years than get five a year for 7 years and there be none left, that is where I am coming from. I can understand where you are getting at a bit better now and hope you understand where I am coming from as well. By the way, I do not watch much on youtube or hunting shows, I would rather watch the stuff from the 90' than what is put out now in most cases so I really probably am not seeing some of what you are talking about. I do not watch stuff on TV either because I turned my TV off after all the crap started in the NFL football was the only reason I kept TV in the first place, that and hockey and I am told that is just like the NFL now.

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on August 02, 2021, 12:51:05 PM
Sir-diealot,
Absolutely, irresponsible printed journals play a role as well.  Even with print, I've never understood highlighting specific public land.  Is it necessary?  I don't think so.  Share way with stories, share away with educational and instructional information, and share away with pictures.  Just be responsible and don't share specific information. 

I've never stated folks don't gather information from magazines or newspaper articles.  But, the accessibility and the volume of information that technology has afforded social media platforms is on a much different level.  I really don't know what else to say about that.  Obviously it's more wide spread, but if your magazine is shared with 5 - 10 people, and consisting of 10% (?) public land highlighting.  Let's say 1,000 people share magazines with 5 people, which seems high to be honest.  One single state specific turkey hunting video (100% public land highlighting) was viewed (on YouTube alone, not considering other platforms) 461,000 times.  Let me repeat....461,000 views.  Sure, factor in a few that viewed or clicked on it more than once.   That's only ONE video example.  Is all comparable??  I'll stand behind the statement, "Do the math".   

I never said that you did say they did not get them from magazines, I was just using an example. Some people want to share the complete experience of their hunt, that includes where others can go to have the exact same hunt. That can have both good and bad results I fully agree. Good being bolstering to the local economy, bad being the area being over hunted or being perceived as being over hunted, I just want to see what is the best for the turkey.

I will leave the numbers to you, I honestly believe I have dyscalculia because I have had problems with numbers my entire life.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dzsmith

MORE HUNTERS DOES NOT MEAN MORE TURKEYS. THE END!!!!!!!!
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."