turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi non-resident regulations pending

Started by arkrem870, July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiloh

Someone explain Arkansas to me and I'll start to believe some of this other stuff.  Lots of states headed down the road Arkansas started down 15 years ago and nobody can explain Arkansas.  I think there's a bigger problem than YouTube and social media.  We might need to check our focus

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

mookyj

Quote from: Jimspur on July 31, 2021, 08:07:32 AM

Wow, so sad, seems like a little time on the comfy couch would help with all this insightful interpretations and all. I just think your lacking...  Sorry but the envious postings is fair game for criticism as your lack of mental acuity.  I do enjoy the rent free space in your head though. Goodnight Karen!

For someone who is a self-proclaimed,
"Professional // Outdoor Writer/Author", you are sorely lacking in the
ability to present and communicate your points respectfully.

You come across as an angry know-it-all that thinks they're smarter
than everyone else.

You probably voted for Cuomo too!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
[/quote]

Karen, the self projecting is a little old at this point. Cuomo? Does this mean dating is out of the question?  Haven't voted for a democrat in 41 years, even then my assemblyman was a pro sportsmen's advocate. Nice try. I see that I still have rent free space in that little head of yours. Lot of anger coming from you. Move along little girl...
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Jimspur

You're just another blowhard "Industry Insider" with an overinflated
opinion of himself, who thinks his opinions are more valid than anyone
else's. Sorry to burst your bubble.
I'll bet your momma gave you that cute little name Mooky. My momma
gave me a cute little name when I was a baby too, but unlike you I
dropped it when I got older.
Dating is definitely out of the question - I only date real men, not soy boy
writer types.
Your so cute when you're angry Mooky!

arkrem870

Quote from: Shiloh on July 31, 2021, 10:49:28 AM
Someone explain Arkansas to me and I'll start to believe some of this other stuff.  Lots of states headed down the road Arkansas started down 15 years ago and nobody can explain Arkansas.  I think there's a bigger problem than YouTube and social media.  We might need to check our focus

Some things I suspect in no particular order of importance as I believe all play a part. 
1.  More consistent spring rain that's hard on both poults and nesting hens.
2.  Population boom after stocking due to less predators both human and others.  That reversed in time
3.  Booming predator population due to fur prices plummeting and deer baiting/corn. The falling fur price charts and low poult recruitment charts are nearly exactly the same. So they are very much related and a major problem.
4.  Outlaw / Arkansas hunting culture - intense pressure. Little regard for limits. No tagging methods with any teeth
5.  Lack of quality habitat/farming practices
6.  Disease of some kind/and possibly a link to chicken litter scattered on fields throughout arkansas. Tyson/ConAgra/pilgrims pride etc. arkansas is chicken country

Nobody who cares about wild turkeys believes YouTube is solely to blame for the issues / declines in wild turkey. But I believe YouTube hunting channels are the wrong thing at the wrong time for wild turkeys. Especially when pushed by state dnr departments.  Adding 40-50% more hunters to a strained resource will have a negative impact that requires restrictive regulations as a result.  This is crystal clear and undeniable as it's played out before us. Where do we go from here.....that's the question because down the same road we are on spells disaster for wild turkeys.

wchadw

Quote from: arkrem870 on July 31, 2021, 12:55:17 PM

Some things I suspect in no particular order of importance as I believe all play a part. 
2.  Population boom after stocking due to less predators both human and others.  That reversed in time
3.  Booming predator population due to fur prices plummeting and deer baiting/corn. The falling fur price charts and low poult recruitment charts are nearly exactly the same. So they are very much related and a major problem.
4.  Outlaw / Arkansas hunting culture - intense pressure. Little regard for limits. No tagging methods with any teeth
6.  Disease of some kind/and possibly a link to chicken litter scattered on fields throughout arkansas. Tyson/ConAgra/pilgrims pride etc. arkansas is chicken country

Nobody who cares about wild turkeys believes YouTube is solely to blame for the issues / declines in wild turkey. But I believe YouTube hunting channels are the wrong thing at the wrong time for wild turkeys. Especially when pushed by state dnr departments.  Adding 40-50% more hunters to a strained resource will have a negative impact that requires restrictive regulations as a result.  This is crystal clear and undeniable as it's played out before us. Where do we go from here.....that's the question because down the same road we are on spells disaster for wild turkeys.
This is problem in MS. Except the hunting pressure goes up like 50-65% until end of March. For first 1/3 of season the hunting pressure from out of state is enormous. LA, MS, TN, AL and AR hunters all hunting for 2 weeks in MS. Lots and lots of out of state hunters
I think hunters in MS trying to avoid ending up with problems like LA and AR
I don't care about people going to other states but my opinion is MS needs to push season back like surrounding states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

Hey Ark - I agree with all the different points you made. If you look at
the overall picture for turkeys, it's hard, if not impossible, to find one
thing that turkeys have going for them.

We as humans always think we can rationalize and figure out where
things are going wrong, and sometimes we can.

When I look at what Arkansas has done, with little effect, this might be
the new normal, and all the regulations changes in the world aren't
going to be enough. I hope that's not the case.

El Pavo Grande

As a fellow Arkansan, this is spot on.  100% great post.   

Turkey hunters are going to have to look into the mirror and decide if they choose to be a good responsible steward for the resource moving forward or not.  Social media practices better be a part of the focus.  The future of turkey populations and turkey hunting depend on it.  It's that simple.   

Shiloh

Not sure what the problem is.   I am hearing that there are some studies on heavily managed, large private properties that are showing population declines similar to public lands.

I know that social media is an issue, but it is only one issue.  This doesn't mean we shouldn't try to deal with it, but I don't think it's THE issue.  One thing I know though is social media isn't going anywhere.  We should work with the influencers to see if there is middle ground that could benefit everyone and the resource.   

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on July 31, 2021, 11:51:13 AM
Here's a good interview explaining some of the things that have and are happening in Arkansas.

https://www.theturkeyhunterpodcast.com/e/346-possible-progress-in-arkansas-with-jeremy-wood/

I know I'm quoting myself but if you guys Ark guys haven't listened to this podcast I highly recommend it. The interview is with the person in charge for the last 3 years of managing your turkey population. They cover a range of topics involved in the management efforts over the last 15 or so years, mistakes and accomplishments. It is really an enlightening interview even for a guy from MN.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Shiloh

I plan to listen to that one next time I'm on the excavator or tractor.  I'm interested in what they say on Arkansas. 

Paulmyr

Quote from: Shiloh on July 31, 2021, 09:14:12 PM
I plan to listen to that one next time I'm on the excavator or tractor.  I'm interested in what they say on Arkansas.
I don't do the radio or podcast when I'm in the Ex. Utilities, got guys in the trench, need to stay focused.

Shiloh

Well.......I'll be digging stumps for a new food plot with nobody around, so it shouldn't be an issue.  I call it therapy ????

Paulmyr

Sir-diealot

Quote from: arkrem870 on July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM
https://www.wjtv.com/news/state/spring-turkey-season-changes-proposed-for-non-residents-in-mississippi/amp/

Looks like loose lips have done it again. Thanks youtubers.  Where will hunting opportunity be lost next as a result?  Gotta have that hunter recruitment......you know. For the sport
Not that I am for or against youtubers that post ETHICAL hunts, but how do you equate this to them when I have been reading about how great turkey hunting is there since the early to mid 90's?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."