OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mississippi non-resident regulations pending

Started by arkrem870, July 22, 2021, 09:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

Not taking up for the you tubers what so ever , but my region of ms was being pounded by non res way before you tubers showed up .    I've got mixed feelings about this new proposal.  While I'm very pleased to see " something " being done . If I had my say ,  push opener back a week , drop limit back to 2 and actually in force no feeder hunting .

turkeyfool

Hunted MS the past two years early as NR hunter because I temporarily lived right on the MS/TN line. Something had to be done. Not only did they charge like 400 bucks to do a 10 day+ nonresident tag or something along those lines, but the hunting was absolute  two years in a row. My buddy was in disbelief when he had a bird come in wanting to die at 930 one morning after he and I heard less than 5 gobbles in two years. The thing was loaded up with corn, so someone had been baiting around holly springs. I don't necessarily want to bag on Mississippi guys, but that state has a whole lot of problems and I'm assuming the MS DNR didn't mind the extra 50k (or however much) they were making as a result of opening up in mid March. I think I've seen more Arkansas trucks than Mississippi trucks in Mississippi .

As for troubles up north and out west, we might be okay just from the standpoint that in May, a lot of guys who would be traveling from down south are done thinking about turkeys when we're just getting started

quavers59

I have been following this Thread with interest.

silent tom

How does all that hunter recruitment look like now?

There's a few of us that saw this coming and tried to say something.
It is almost mirroring what happened to Arkansas duck hunting. 

Thanks THP, Dave, and all the rest of you chest beating social media heroes for your contribution to the sport....

mookyj

In reading the responses it appears that some are far more in touch with their inner green monster of those that have the money and time to travel and far less concerned with actual facts like total number of hunters vs success ratios. Don't see too many upset with fleecing NR hunters with obscenely high fees. Venting like a bunch of jealous Karens. Harvest numbers are not the low hanging fruit compared to weather impacts on brooding, predators and disease. Those ideas are not limited to defined restrictions as hunters are obligated to abide by. Very little mention of poaching. In NY the NYSDEC still uses a fudge factor of two birds are taken illegally for every one that is tagged an reported legally... 
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

arkrem870

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/352-the-rise-in-nonresident-turkey-hunting-license-sales/id859529852?i=1000530467595

Mooky......when you have the time listen to this podcast. It'll help understand what many of us that travel extensively and have for years have been trying to warn about. 

Jimspur

Quote from: mookyj on July 30, 2021, 10:56:38 PM
In reading the responses it appears that some are far more in touch with their inner green monster of those that have the money and time to travel and far less concerned with actual facts like total number of hunters vs success ratios. Don't see too many upset with fleecing NR hunters with obscenely high fees. Venting like a bunch of jealous Karens. Harvest numbers are not the low hanging fruit compared to weather impacts on brooding, predators and disease. Those ideas are not limited to defined restrictions as hunters are obligated to abide by. Very little mention of poaching. In NY the NYSDEC still uses a fudge factor of two birds are taken illegally for every one that is tagged an reported legally...

Maybe you should listen to the podcast in the thread, "The numbers don't
lie". Maybe then you'll see some numbers that will open your eyes to the
damage that is being done. Listen to the stats of hunter numbers and
success ratios. I think most of the people that have posted truly care
about the wild turkey.
You say they all sound like a bunch of jealous Karen's, you sound like
another uninformed Biden voter.

mookyj

Quote from: Jimspur on July 30, 2021, 11:18:21 PM

about the wild turkey.

Dumb as a brick...  harvest numbers are a fraction of the mortality estimates.  Thanks, I'll stick with direct reports from biologists, not internet opinions. Calling me a Biden voter is good for a fat lip.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

silent tom

Don't bring money into this as if we are jealous of youtubers.  Find something else to hang your hat on bud.

Jimspur

Quote from: mookyj on July 30, 2021, 11:31:45 PM
Quote from: Jimspur on July 30, 2021, 11:18:21 PM

about the wild turkey.

Dumb as a brick...  harvest numbers are a fraction of the mortality estimates.  Thanks, I'll stick with direct reports from biologists, not internet opinions. Calling me a Biden voter is good for a fat lip.

It's not just harvest numbers they're talking about - they're talking about
hunter numbers detracting from the hunting experience you moron.
Another internet tough guy -  I'd like to see you give me a fat lip.

mookyj

[/quote]

[/quote]

Funny read, self projecting about internet tough guy.... sounds like I hurt your feelings, hopefully I'll get over it.   Calling anyone a Biden voter is asking for a whooping, is that too hard for you Karen?   
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Jimspur

Quote from: mookyj on July 30, 2021, 11:48:16 PM

[/quote]

Funny read, self projecting about internet tough guy.... sounds like I hurt your feelings, hopefully I'll get over it.   Calling anyone a Biden voter is asking for an  whooping, is that too hard for you Karen?
[/quote]

What's funny to me is you come on all tough in your post calling people
names, and when somebody calls you a name you get very angry.
Maybe if you posted and conversed respectfully, you'd be treated with
respect.

Wow, that Biden voter comment really hurt you.

Why is it that what I say means so much to you, yet what you say means
so little to me?

mookyj

[/quote]

Funny read, self projecting about internet tough guy.... sounds like I hurt your feelings, hopefully I'll get over it.   Calling anyone a Biden voter is asking for an  whooping, is that too hard for you Karen?
[/quote]

What's funny to me is you come on all tough in your post calling people
names, and when somebody calls you a name you get very angry.
Maybe if you posted and conversed respectfully, you'd be treated with
respect.

Wow, that Biden voter comment really hurt you.

Why is it that what I say means so much to you, yet what you say means
so little to me?
[/quote]

Wow, so sad, seems like a little time on the comfy couch would help with all this insightful interpretations and all. I just think your lacking...  Sorry but the envious postings is fair game for criticism as your lack of mental acuity.  I do enjoy the rent free space in your head though. Goodnight Karen!
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

Howie g

Soooo , tell me more about this fat lipped gal named Karen ??

Jimspur

Wow, so sad, seems like a little time on the comfy couch would help with all this insightful interpretations and all. I just think your lacking...  Sorry but the envious postings is fair game for criticism as your lack of mental acuity.  I do enjoy the rent free space in your head though. Goodnight Karen!
[/quote]

For someone who is a self-proclaimed,
"Professional // Outdoor Writer/Author", you are sorely lacking in the
ability to present and communicate your points respectfully.

You come across as an angry know-it-all that thinks they're smarter
than everyone else.

You probably voted for Cuomo too!  :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: