Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

A great listen….The Turkey Hunter Podcast with Dr. Grant Woods

Started by El Pavo Grande, August 15, 2021, 06:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

Here is another good listen.   The Turkey Hunter Podcast with Dr. Grant Woods.  Not all biologists agree on everything.  What I like about Woods is he's not afraid to push what's politically correct, such as the importance of trapping and predator control.  At about the 1:03 mark he discusses the "only habitat" message that some (many) share.  His thoughts are exactly what I have had in mind.....habitat is extremely important, but the answer isn't habitat alone, and an abundance of predators will negate it's effectiveness.  100% agree.  Several more great points he makes in this podcast.  We'll worth a listen!! 

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-wx8u3-10b32e0

Paulmyr

Haven't listened to the podcast yet. All this talk about predator control has led me to make one simple point. Without the involvement of man the predator prey relationship will even itself out at some point. It's nature's way. Lots of prey species produce lots of predators . At some point prey species decline and so do predators respectively. After predators decline prey species rebound. It's a cycle. The question that needs to be asked is where is the natural average in these cycles and are humans effecting it.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 15, 2021, 07:34:21 PM
Haven't listened to the podcast yet. All this talk about predator control has led me to make one simple point. Without the involvement of man the predator prey relationship will even itself out at some point. It's nature way. Lots of prey species produce lots of predators . At some point prey species decline and so do predators respectively. After predators decline prey species rebound. It's a cycle. The question that needs to be asked is where is the natural average in these cycles and are humans effecting it.

I think human effects are a big part of the issue....habitat loss, habitat mismanagement, supplemental feeding, herbicides, etc.  Some of it is correctable.  But, Woods made a comment that makes sense, in that money drives the United States.  What is correctable may not be popular. 

RND1983

It was a great listen. I for one thoroughly enjoy listening to this podcast. I don't deer hunt or duck hunt so this keeps me occupied in the off season. They cover all topics and I like the fact that they disagree on certain topics and talk about things some podcasts won't touch.

aclawrence

I have listened to it yet. I don't really agree with Andy's logic sometimes in some of his arguments but I'm looking forward to hearing what the biologist has to say.  I like the younger guy m, I forget his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimspur

Quote from: aclawrence on August 23, 2021, 08:56:21 PM
I have listened to it yet. I don't really agree with Andy's logic sometimes in some of his arguments but I'm looking forward to hearing what the biologist has to say.  I like the younger guy m, I forget his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The younger guy is on here from time to time - his name is
Cameron Weddington, his username on Old Gobbler is cwedding.