North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

For the Old timers/ early mentors, calls and gear when you started

Started by eggshell, August 03, 2021, 08:45:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Quote from: eggshell on August 03, 2021, 08:45:42 AM
I worked for The "Bill Boatman Company" in those days. He ran a sporting goods store and mail order business that was a precursor to Cabelas. He focused on hunting dog supplies, but I talked him into handling turkey hunting  gear. They made "Greenbriar hunting clothes

Eggshell,

Wow, you worked for Bill Boatman?  That brings back a lot of good memories.  We had bird dogs and it was always a big event at our house when the new Bill Boatman catalog arrived.

I remember very well when they came out with the "Greenbrier" line of hunting clothing, that was back when drab or camo hunting clothing was, other than "Ranger" brand, very limited.  Do you remember---I'm not sure what they called it---a drop down waterproof seat protector, it was a green, naugahyde-like material with belt loops and a flannel lining.  It was a simple, great product and the precursor for the drop-down seat cushions they sell today.   My Dad and I both had one and I regret letting these get away over the years.

Do you know what ever happened to Bill Boatman?

Tail Feathers

I got a later start than many in turkey hunting.  We didn't have a season on them where I hunt until 2000 or 2001.  I bought a Lynch Foolproof and an Old Yeller ceramic pot call and a VHS tape to learn from.  I didn't even know anyone who had hunted turkeys.

I did buy some original Greenleaf shirts and facemask and had some camo pants from deer hunting.  I bought a $20 turkey choke from my 28" 870 and went at it.
I called a hen in on my first hunt and called in and killed a jake on morning two.  I've been hopelessly hooked ever since.  I think I bought my first mouth call, a True Double for season two.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gooserbat

Started at age seven as a tag-along.  That was 1984.  I carried a gun at nine.  Old Stevens pump 20 gauge of some sort.  Shells were what ever Dad got and my first call was a HS Strut plastic push pin.  I remember I had a set of woodland camo Dad ordered from Wing Supply and I had a green camo " net bag" off a head net.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eggshell

Quote from: Bill on August 03, 2021, 09:57:19 PM
I worked for The "Bill Boatman Company" in those days. He ran a sporting goods store and mail order business that was a precursor to Cabelas. He focused on hunting dog supplies, but I talked him into handling turkey hunting  gear. They made "Greenbriar hunting clothes

Eggshell,

Wow, you worked for Bill Boatman?  That brings back a lot of good memories.  We had bird dogs and it was always a big event at our house when the new Bill Boatman catalog arrived.

I remember very well when they came out with the "Greenbrier" line of hunting clothing, that was back when drab or camo hunting clothing was, other than "Ranger" brand, very limited.  Do you remember---I'm not sure what they called it---a drop down waterproof seat protector, it was a green, naugahyde-like material with belt loops and a flannel lining.  It was a simple, great product and the precursor for the drop-down seat cushions they sell today.   My Dad and I both had one and I regret letting these get away over the years.

Do you know what ever happened to Bill Boatman?

Great to hear from someone who dealt with BBC.

Bill and I became great personal friends after I left the company. He had known my family for years as well. I joined him in a small side venture together from the mid 80s until late 90s, called Ohio Fur Auctions. I was a trapper and he approached me about joining the new venture as chief grader. I learned to grade pelts and done that until the fur market busted. We had 4 huge auctions a year and handled 10s of thousands of pelts. I have a picture somewhere if I can find it. Bill's business struggled through the 80s and 90s after he made some poor venture investments. He still operated, but at a much smaller scale. Sadly, Bill got cancer a few years ago and passed away. His wife sold off the company in pieces and she is still in the community.

I know the seats you are talking about, but forget the name. On cold winter days I would work back in the leather cutting room with Bill's main leathersmith and we cut out many of those seats. They were naugahyde as you say. Those greenbriar clothes lasted forever and if you tore one up they'd replace or repair it. Did you ever make it to one of his huge field trials? I worked mainly in a nursery and garden center he owned. We specialized in fruit trees and raised thousands. We had locations in Ohio, Tenn. and Michigan. I done a little of everything else in the company, from working a mail crew for catalogs, to hauling freight, to procurement, making dog collars,working the shipping dept and traveling to field trials and sports shows. I learned a lot about business from him.

So glad you replied.   

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

My first turkey hunt was back in 1988. I carried a winchester model 1300 with high brass 2 3\4 shells. I carried a lynch 101 box call my dad had bought for me to use. I had no idea how to use it so I handed it to my cousin. He barely could yelp on it. We had no mentors. We stuck up 3 gobblers with a primos owl hooter and proceeded to split up 30 yards apart. LOL! The gobblers were absolutely gobbling like crazy. I watched as one came fast to the call thru the cutover. He was going straight to the call which was to my right. I watched as my cousin missed him at 15 yards or so with an old winchester 20 ga. I also watched him fly bqck the way he came. We had on old military camo. I'll never forget that opening morning. We learned a lot. The main lesson, sit with the caller.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

grayfox

Great stories! Wish I had started turkey hunting back when I was young. Unfortunately I didn't start until I was in my early forties about 20 years ago. Guess I was too busy chasing after rabbits with my beagles back then. Feel like I wasted part of my life.

zeke632

Late 1970's. I started with no idea and a one sided Lynch box. Box calls and I just never got along. CH Butler Hen Yelper scratch box & a blue Perfection mouth call when I started having a little bit of success.
The old WW II type pattern and some tiger striped camouflage was about all that was available. When face masks came out they were camo net sewn on plastic eye glasses frames.
Camouflage pants in those days came down to about the top of your ankle, so when you sat down they rode up and showed off socks and bare legs ????.
2 3/4" Winchester Super X # 6s.  Long barreled 1100   
I have better stuff now but basically hunt the same way. Get as close as I think I can and give them my best.  Which I think is good sometimes and not so good other times. Mostly a pot call & mouth call now.

jhoward11

80's....Jeans and a green and black flannel shirt. Couldn't afford anything else. 870 and high brass 2 3/4 Remington shells. Had no one to help, so I was on my own to learn. Barber told me a few things to do and look for. Heard my first tom, in the woods as I set on the edge of field. He gobbled for awhile, so I thought I should go get him. Headed back up into the woods and stopped behind a tree to take a leak. Grabbed my gun when done, walked around the tree and we scared the hell out of each other. Neither of us knew what to do. Finally raised the gun and shot him as he walked the other way. I thought I knew everything after that...lollllllllllllllll

Old Timer

Started out in the 80`s, didn`t know a thing. Read magazines, books, watched video. Even stopped at country diners to talk to some versed in the craft  more than me. Bought old brown used work pants for 3 bucks and some used military clothing and that fit the bill. My 1st call was a Lynch box still in use today. Had a number of screw ups and after 5 years I finally got my 1st gobbler. Got to where I taught a friend what I new and he`s a excellent woodsman. He picked up quick and we hunted together for years. I still reminisce of those times today. I would say my best hunt has been when I roosted a tom for my son being 14 at the time. We had to navigate hardwoods, swamp and roosted birds to get near the farmers field. I called the hen in and the big tom followed. He dumped him with 1 shot at 30 yard! Memories! good day.

WV Flopper

Good posts guys.

Not as old as some, thank goodness... Started spring hunting alone in 90. Started with mouth calls, learned to hoot without a call, got a HS slate call and killed a bunch with it. Owner of the call wanted it back after a couple season and I bought a Cody  world class. I still run that call today. I don't hunt with the rifle I started with and sold the first gen 835 I had. Was doubly stupid and bought a second gen 835. I don't use it, haven't for 17-18 or so years. But do still hunt with the 10g I replaced it with.

For fun I did get a 410 a couple springs ago. Maybe when my back gets tired I will carry it more.

tracker vi

The day the Bill Boatman catalog arrived was like Christmas at our house !!! I remember he published a dog magazine for a while too.

Bill

Did you ever make it to one of his huge field trials?

Bird dogs are my thing but I do have many friends who were into coonhound trials and nite hunts big time, no doubt some of them did.  Folks would be shocked if they knew the big dollars that change hands at these events.

Thanks for sharing this information about the Boatman company.  It's good stuff.  The older a guy gets, the more nostalgic he gets about these things.

There was another Bill Boatman product that fits within the spirit of this thread.  Back in the day, My Dad was mentored by an old-time turkey hunter from Fredericktown (Southeast) Missouri who knew all the secrets back when that information was hard to come by.  Unfortunately his hearing was failing, which (as everyone here knows) is a terrible handicap for a turkey hunter.  Dad noticed a "hearing aid" in the Boatman catalog, which was nothing more than a funnel-shaped device you held up to your ear that amplified sound.  It was originally designed to help houndsmen listen to coonhounds baying off in the distance, and the thing actually worked.  Dad picked one up as a gift for the old timer.  That old man lit up like a Christmas tree, it added years to his turkey hunting.

joeturkey

My first turkey was back in the the early 1960 and that bird was call in and killed in the  fall my first spring gobbler was in 1967 the first spring turkey hunt  in PA I still have a mouth call that the frame was made of led I believe it was a Ben Lee call I have taken a lot turkeys over the years in lots of states and in Mexico I will keep on hunting until I die.

Yoder409

I started in 1978.

My first spring hunt consisted of :

Winchester 1200 2 3/4" with a Winchoke Full tube
Federal Magnum #2 shells
A lightweight woodland camo jacket and pants
Woodland camo bucket hat
3 colors of Penn's Woods face paint
A tube call I had made

My brother was 5 years my senior.  He and his 2 buddies were seasoned, professional turkey hunters.  They'd go out before school in the spring and hunt.  None of them had ever killed a bird.  But they were die-hard turkey hunters.  So........ I had my mom (an RN) bring me a rubber glove home from work.  A little pocket knife work on a pair of 35mm film canisters and some black electrician's tape and I had a turkey call.  The day before spring season came in, my brother's one buddy stopped by the house.  I proudly hauled out my newly made call and handed it to him.  He looked it over and handed it back and said, "That's the good thing about home made turkey calls.  When they're no good, you can throw 'em out and you're not out anything".  The next morning, I went out back of the house..........called in 2 jakes and killed one at about 20 yards.  I called my brother's buddy up and asked him how he did.  He had worked one for a couple hours to no avail.  I mentioned that I had called 2 up and killed one, early.  He was speechless.  I said, "Yeah.  That's the good thing about home made turkey calls.  When they're no good you can throw 'em out and you're not out anything".  And I hung up.    :TooFunny: 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.