OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Summer thoughts: social media, money, Slams, and other gripes

Started by TurkeyReaper69, July 15, 2021, 10:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiloh

Our blackberries have dried up, but before they did I had the kids go out and pick enough for a cobbler.  We froze some homemade vanilla to go with it!!!

Greg Massey

I sure do like homemade cobblers and homemade ice cream..

eggshell

Had a big ole piece of blackberry pie with a glass of cold milk last night....mmm good. I'd share some with you guys, but it might be hard to attach to an email  :TooFunny:

I guess there are things we can all agree on. The first item in this post was summer thoughts, I can think of several summer thoughts that are better than forum bitching:

Watching all the young wildlife, especially watching for turkey broods
flowers and shrubs blooming
Gardening, man are all those fresh veggies and produce good. Green beans, new potatoes, sweetcorn, cantaloupe and tree ripened fruit.
Fishing- I fish way more than I turkey hunt. Frying up fresh caught Saugeye is my favorite
Sitting on the porch early in the morning and watching the sunrise on the fields with the deer and fawns playing
Summer is Bikini season too, yeah that's in the past for us old farts, but some of you are still in bikini viewing season. All I can do is remember when the wife and I would head to the lake to just boat and laze around in the sun and you know some other stuff. 
:drool:
Grilling out and picnics
Traveling to new places and old

Man, There are so many good things, to fill in the gap between turkey seasons. Life is what you make it. If you want to wallow in misery then that's on you, not what others do.

2eagles

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: eggshell on July 17, 2021, 10:26:59 AM
Speaking of better things to do than bitch on an internet forum. This morning I went into the woods in an old timber cut to pick blackberries. I saw a doe and I think  her fawn. I had a Gobbler cluck at me as I walked through the leaves. Then I pulled back a briar and there was a nest of baby birds, so I backed off and watched for momma, a yellow warbler showed up.  I also picked two quarts of berries. Yup there's more to life
Absolutely!!! :icon_thumright:

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Neill_Prater

Gee, this was a depressing Sunday morning read!

All joking aside, part of all the issues mentioned are somewhat self limiting. Any pursuit always has its share of "fair weather" participants. Social media has amplified that phenomenon. If it is relatively easy, AKA fun, everyone and their brother will jump in, but let it become less so,  AKA work, that four letter word many among the younger generation are only familiar with in abstract terms, and I suspect you will see fewer YouTubers at the local WMA.

As for the YouTube videos. Quit watching. I'm always amazed, and puzzled, by the continued problems in this country with robocalls and phone scams. Thirty days of hearing what they all hear when they call our house, a click followed by silence, and all the scammers in the world would be out of business and forced to earn a living in a more honest manner, like armed robbery.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

I find it Ironic that "WE" are on a social media site complaining about..... Social media.

The industry has exploited turkey through video for years and years and years. The YouTubers didn't start that. I do hope them to be more respectful of the lands they are using as to not specifically list them. But, I have no problem at all with a guy saying, "We are on some public ground here in WV". No problem from me.

If it's that we don't like that these guys are making money along the way, don't watch them. It's your choice right? It's still America.

I myself enjoy watching some of the you tube guys and gals. And I will give them this..... 99.9% of them show more patience than I have. I will not let a turkey walk around to get a better picture of him. Plenty of picture time when he is done flopping.

I do not and have never had a book of faces account. But, I understand what you guys are saying about that. People can not go on a public forum and list areas for all to see. There are too many people out there "ME" looking for easy information. Lots of people do this all the time. I did it for years fishing lake Erie tribs for Steelhead. Soon, the locals posting that info figured out there issues and tampered it off. Hopefully some of these people doing this today will figure it out also, in a lot less time!
Lots of young people in the sport today that have never been mentored in a way to keep their mouth shut. I feel a lot of us older people can easily see it, because, well, we have been there and done that. I have anyway.

Hopefully next spring this Covid crap will be over with. The guberment will have stopped giving out free money, and people will be back to work busy making money. These two things have put a lot of extra people in the woods the last two springs for all to enjoy.

Dtrkyman

Wasn't that long ago on all these forums the talk was how all the "pros" are only good cuz the hunt private land...Be careful what you wish for,killing turkeys isn't rocket science!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Pavo Grande

I still think some miss the mark on this message and similar.  Maybe sometimes it's in the presentation, but why is bringing up points or arguments (as in one side of a debate) always considered "bit*****"?  Albeit a minority, but there are a lot of concerned hunters on the effects that social media outlets have on turkeys and turkey hunting.  But saying, "you don't have to watch", "change the channel", "if it's legal", "spend your time trapping rather than complaining", "you're on social media complaining about social media", etc. etc. etc. I'd consider that sticking one's head in the sand.  Just listen to The Turkey Hunter podcast shared in the other thread about social media.  They recognize it, enough to consider themselves even hypocrites for promoting what they do and yet understanding the negatives that come along with it.  They tip-toed around it at times without being too brash, but did name a few names and call out that maybe some things need to change.  Are we so sensitive these days that arguing (once again in the context of debating) that we just write it off as whining and complaining every time?   I've seen several comments that in the same paragraph express concern for the negative effects and yet say hunters need to quit complaining and accept it's just the new reality.  Some just need to be educated.  So, you say who decides what is right and what is wrong?  I agree that's a fine line sometimes.  But, if anyone can provide ONE positive for the resource (turkey population) with promoting SPECIFIC information on Facebook, YouTube, Forums, etc. I would love to hear it.  We all love to watch videos, see pictures, and hear stories.... Just be responsible and respectful of the resource.  Leave out the specifics and recognize what even actively promoting public land can potentially lead to.  Should we all just sit back, not discuss the negatives and see where we are in another 5 years or 10 years?

Shiloh

My only point of concern would be that only discussing it and never doing anything wouldn't do much good.  I suspect that a large majority of people that complain about how their public tract is being treated haven't gone out and actually done anything to benefit the resource.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

turkeyfool

I'm not sure if this was discussed but I do think two things would immediately help. 1. YouTubers don't even say what state they are in. That may not sound like a big deal, but I know for a fact that there's a particular state that WILL get hammered in 2022 because of the amount of people who talked about it in 2021. The other thing would be to have a 1 bird limit across every state for any nonresident hunter. The reason I say that is because I have a buddy who went to Nebraska with like 3 buddies. In 2.5 days they shot like 10 birds because they could. Just make it a 1 bird limit for any nonresident hunter. I don't think it's a big deal

silvestris

God made the return key, the spacebar and the comma key for good reasons.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game