OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad Longbeards

Started by Tom007, June 04, 2021, 07:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

Quote from: jhoward11 on June 04, 2021, 12:01:57 PM
A couple years ago I had one out of the box that you could shake, like it wasn't full. let them know and they sent a new box. 12 g #5 LB. No issues since. I do take each one out now after buying a box and shake just incase. Great shell for my gun.

I have noticed this before also. It is what ever material they use to cusion and buffer the shot. (I forget its name). This material sometimes shatters during transport. I am sure there maybe some issues with all brands from time to time and longbeards being such a big success are of course going to get more attention then most. I still shoot it and have never had a failure.

I use longbeard in my 12 and only need one more of them Florida birds to finish my second slam not to mention a great number of Easterns. Most have been killed using LB 5, 6, or 4. I also use the 4's LB for Bobcat and coyote.

My primary shotgun (12) is a Browning BPS. It leaves a strong dimple on the primer. I always check all my primer strikes when shooting  my shotguns. Should they be weak I fix them so they do strike well as I think most misfires are due to primer issues. (I also check my rifle primers).

TSS is a great shot and I have been loading and using it in my 20g for coyote and Bobcat and sometimes turkey. However, while Coyotes can be hard to kill while Turkeys are not and I find TSS over kill and after this years harvest will not be using TSS for Turkey: only LB. Another plus for LB is that it is considerbly cheaper then TSS for the price sensitive. Any brand shell may misfire or not perform to expectation. Factory quality control frequently leaves something to be desired  and, in my opinion, quality can only be assured by the handloader. Just my 2 cents!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

gergg

I've had several misfires/Nofires with LB's, not using them any longer.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

sixbird

I've had rattling shells in the past. Winchester took care of that and replaced the shells.
This year I DID have issues with some of the L/B's not patterning well. As in 50 yd. patterns at 25 yds.
I sent Winchester a complaint about two weeks ago. No response yet.

bcuda

I had two misfires and contacted Winchester they asked me to return the unused box and they would reimburse me as the shells I had were not available at the time.
Sending the unused box to them shipping it and with the price and all the BS of sending it correctly by law via Fedex or UPS ground
and labeling it correctly with the ORMD labels was more than what it was worth. Seems Winchester's customer service just don't care to me.
Will not buy anything Winchester again .

mtns2hunt

Quote from: bcuda on July 01, 2021, 09:31:52 PM
I had two misfires and contacted Winchester they asked me to return the unused box and they would reimburse me as the shells I had were not available at the time.
Sending the unused box to them shipping it and with the price and all the BS of sending it correctly by law via Fedex or UPS ground
and labeling it correctly with the ORMD labels was more than what it was worth. Seems Winchester's customer service just don't care to me.
Will not buy anything Winchester again .

Really surprised to hear about these misfires. I have had such good performance from them since they came out. In fact I liked them so much that I bought several boxes of 5's and 4's plus a couple of 6's. Hopefully these will last several more seasons and as I nomally only shoot 3 or 4 a season they wii. By that time perhaps winchester will have fixed the problem.

Now I have had several misfires with Winchester 40 grain 22 mags. I no longer shoot these except at targets as a misfire on a coyote or bobcat would be hard to bear. Long beards threw my pump is not an issue as I can shuck the shell fast enough to get him on the second. Proved it with a Remington that failed once.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.