OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

12ga or 20 ga fot turkeys

Started by kyhareraiser, February 13, 2011, 01:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyhareraiser

i've used a 12 ga ever siince i've turkey hunted  but after seeing my cousin lay the smackdown on a gobbler at 40 yards with 3" 20 ga shells  and the load is lighter for hustlein' through the hills and  hollar to get set up on the next ridge   might have to try  a 20 this season..what do y'all use

sugarray

I use a MB 835 12 gauge, but the 20s on here are awesome.  Shooting Federal HW #7 or Hevi13 #7 with a .555 or .570 choke, guys are getting awesome patterns.  One is using a Hastings .564 (?) and getting great numbers as well.  So, IMHO going to a 20, you will not lose any thing.

bowhunter32

ol lady uses a remmy 870 20 ga...great gun shes killed 3 turkeys with it no prob :z-guntootsmiley:..she has been using hevi #6 and #5..bought some hw #7 anxious to try!

turkey slayer

northms

I use a Mossberg 12 ga but my brother when he was little back years ago killed turkeys with a break action single shot 20 ga, and that was with no choke and 2 3/4" shell.  Those were the days haha.  

If you pattern well a 20 will do just fine.

njdevilsb

I use both.  I got into the 20 gauge world last season and killed 2 nice birds with it.

Hognutz

I have used the 12 since I started, but I am jumping into the world of the 10 ga. I have one ordered and can't wait for the project to start..Kaaboom.... :icon_thumright: Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

Turkey Terror

I use an 11-87 Sportsman in 12 gauge

dawgfrombama

hookedspur

I switched to a 20 last year and have no regrets .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on February 13, 2011, 06:12:09 PM
243  J/k

Is this for when they are on the roost, or when you are on NWTF land leaning out your truck window....... ;D

FullChoke

Hmmm. What would you guess?

Fullchoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

guesswho

Quote from: chatterbox on February 13, 2011, 06:58:16 PM
Is this for when they are on the roost, or when you are on NWTF land leaning out your truck window....... ;D
Both.  Nothing like shooting them of the limb while listening to Free Bird on the radio.

I guess I'll shoot my 3 1/2" 12 until they come out with a 4" 12.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!