turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tactics for Fall birds?

Started by jhoward11, August 26, 2021, 08:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

I have technically never went fall turkey hunting. Now, I have bought the license and sat in the deer stand, hoping to see/hear one, then decide on how I wanted to work him/her. So, I'm thinking about heading out this fall. For you that go in the fall, what's your plan to hunt/work the birds? Do you go after just Toms or either? I know it's not exactly the same as spring hunting. Let's see how much education I get fit into this tiny brain!

boatpaddle

Buy this DVD & most of your questions will be answered...
There is a segment on how to call fall birds, too..

www.midwestturkeycall.com

Fall turkey hunting by Denny Gulvas

Any ??'s PM, me...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

aaron

I'm in the Midwest for context.  I have religiously fall
Hunted for years.  No breaking flocks etc for me.  I scout and find their roosts and patterns and hunt them that way.   It's just what I enjoy.   Where I'm at you will
Cover very large expanses of country void of birds.  When you do find them, there will Abe quite a few flocks using the same general areas.  Food is at its most abundant.  Acorns are falling, summer hay fields still have bugs, thickets have berries and soft mast.  The key is finding an area where you have all those things available in close proximity to each other.  A hardwood oak flat, adjoining
A clearcut, with nearby fields available.  In short, in the fall diversity is king for reliable turkey patterns.

WV Flopper

Go coon hunting at night with a hound. Turkey hunt the next morning if successful while following the hound.

PALongspur

Quote from: boatpaddle on August 26, 2021, 10:17:04 AM

Any ??'s PM, me...

This :agreed: :agreed:

paboxcall

Quote from: PALongspur on August 26, 2021, 07:30:31 PM
Quote from: boatpaddle on August 26, 2021, 10:17:04 AM

Any ??'s PM, me...

This :agreed: :agreed:

:agreed:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

fallhnt

Scout,find food,set up and call. Birds roost in same area year after year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Hook hanger

Best piece of advice I can give you is don't start! You will walk endless miles and screw up more opportunities than you could imagine. Good luck on your endeavors and post up when you are successful!????

fallhnt

Quote from: Hook hanger on August 27, 2021, 03:16:38 AM
Best piece of advice I can give you is don't start! You will walk endless miles and screw up more opportunities than you could imagine. Good luck on your endeavors and post up when you are successful!????
Best practice......don't listen to quitters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy