OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kee kee on scratch box?

Started by PNWturkey, June 06, 2021, 01:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

I just read in this thread that someone said that "Kee Kees only works for fall hunting". Really???
I ain't never hunted turkey in the fall of the year, but absolutely every turkey I have ever pulled the trigger on, or that I have called for someone else, died shortly after hearing a kee kee. Every single one of them!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

GregGwaltney

I have killed a few myself using a Kee-Kee in the Spring.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

eggshell

I'm going to say something that will get me in trouble and will probably not be taken well in this thread. I can't imagine nor have I ever heard a friction call make a kee kee as well as a mouth call, not even close. That short yelp into a hollow fast whistling run I have never heard from a box. It requires too fast of a transition. If I am kee keeing it's on a mouth call. Go ahead and throw your stones, I'm just offering a personal opinion.

callmakerman

Quote from: eggshell on March 05, 2024, 07:15:09 PM
I'm going to say something that will get me in trouble and will probably not be taken well in this thread. I can't imagine nor have I ever heard a friction call make a kee kee as well as a mouth call, not even close. That short yelp into a hollow fast whistling run I have never heard from a box. It requires too fast of a transition. If I am kee keeing it's on a mouth call. Go ahead and throw your stones, I'm just offering a personal opinion.
No stones to toss here, for me it was just another option while hunting in the woods and has worked for me. In this game we all enjoy playing with the turkey's we hunt choices are made. What I do works sometimes and the same for you and many others on this forum and none are wrong. It's what we choose and what we have confidence in and in the end win lose or draw I still have fun with it.

eggshell

Thx callmakerman, Your right It is a matter of confidence and in reality close enough works in turkey calling 80% of the time. Turkeys will react and come to many variations of calls, it is far from an exact science. A kee kee on a friction call will certainly kill birds, but I believe the best realism comes from a mouth call. I also concede this thread was about box calls not reproducing the most realistic Kee Kee run. I just thought I'd share an opinion for those who might be wondering.

Paulmyr

I would list trumpets, wingbones, cane calls, as well diaphragms in the mouth call category that produce the most realistic kee kees.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Zobo

I completely agree with Kentuckyheadhunter, for me the longbox and trumpet produce the most realistic kee kees.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

sixbird

Most scratchers can make a passible kee-kee.
Use the outer part of the soundboard and start from the middle of the striker and move toward the end.
Drag the box over the striker. To enhance the sound, you can move the striking point on the soundboard toward outer edge of soundboard as you stroke.