OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poult sightings

Started by bossgobbler, June 04, 2021, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim K

Had these at my bird feeder yesterday. Made my day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shatcher

That's great, Jim K.  I'm seeing a lot of hens in Middle TN with ZERO poults.  I'm afraid it was a bad spring in my neck of the woods.

bear hunter

Thats impressive Jim K I wish all hens did that well.

Jim K

I'm thrilled. Last year I had 11 hens walking around all summer with one poult. This is much better!!

bossgobbler

Jim K, those are great looking poults. They are growing nicely. They're getting to an age that is much less vulnerable. Happy for you and your turkey population. Keep it up!

WiLL B

Heck Yeah Jim K!! What state you in?

bigriverbum

wife saw a bunch while running the dog this morning

landowner of place i hunted this year said he saw a 3 hens with lil ones earlier in the month

been very dry here this year. finally had a now typical flash flood event yesterday. couple valleys south of us got 9 inches of rain in a few hours. that'll kill some birds

Jim K

Quote from: WiLL B on June 27, 2021, 10:31:34 PM
Heck Yeah Jim K!! What state you in?
im in south east PA.

Howie g

13 separate hens in last couple of weeks in sw ms ,,, zero poults .  Very poor hatch , along with tons of rain to make things worse .

Kylongspur88

I've seen several hens with poults this summer and a guy I hunt with called me tonight and said he saw 4 hens with 20 poults today. Much better than in the past few years.

catman529

Quote from: shatcher on June 27, 2021, 05:33:54 PM
That's great, Jim K.  I'm seeing a lot of hens in Middle TN with ZERO poults.  I'm afraid it was a bad spring in my neck of the woods.
I always see a few hens without poults in the early to mid summer here in middle TN. I'm not sure what county you're in, but where I'm at there's a good number of birds so it's normal to see a few jennies that didn't lay eggs or hens that didn't hatch a clutch. Seems like the poults start to show up in the open more often the bigger they get. I've seen a few poults so far. Last year I didn't see hardly any poults until mid summer, but it turned out to be a great hatch last year. Cant always judge by what you see in person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nativeks

Ive seen 2 poults thus far. Most hens have no poults. I ride gravel roads on my bike everyday approximately 100 miles a week. You get to see lots of wildlife. I wish more of the wildlife was baby turkeys.

Shiloh

Just spraying a clover field here in central MS and jumped a hen less than 10' from my side x side.  I walked over and looked and there was a nest with one poult and about a dozen freshly hatched eggs.  I could hear the others whistling all around.  Got on the machine and got out of there.  Glad I wasn't mowing the fields!!!  She would have started setting this nest in early June. 

bossgobbler

Quote from: Shiloh on July 03, 2021, 03:05:43 PM
Just spraying a clover field here in central MS and jumped a hen less than 10' from my side x side.  I walked over and looked and there was a nest with one poult and about a dozen freshly hatched eggs.  I could hear the others whistling all around.  Got on the machine and got out of there.  Glad I wasn't mowing the fields!!!  She would have started setting this nest in early June.

That's exciting. Very cool to hear of freshly hatched poults this late in the summer. That could mean her first nest was raided or busted up somehow and she renested successfully. A friend of mine just had a hen show up with 8 tiny poults, probably 2-3 days old. I'm glad you saw some! Report back more as you see them.

One question I have for anyone who might know. How long after a hen is bred will she lay her first egg? I haven't been able to find that. I know she lays an egg a day until her clutch is complete and then she will sit for around 28 days but I'm curious how long it takes from the time of mating until the first egg is laid.

Tail Feathers

I saw a hen with a few poults yesterday.  Overall in a quick run on just one road at my hunting lease we saw a dozen turkeys, including a group of six toms. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!