OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poult sightings

Started by bossgobbler, June 04, 2021, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bossgobbler

Let's get some positive news floating around here. Has anyone seen or heard of others seeing poults? I'm hoping for a great hatch across the nation. If you see some share the good news here!

catman529

I haven't yet, but you gotta be in the right place at the right time this time of year. The hens keep em pretty well hidden until they get bigger in the mid to late summer. I'm keeping a close eye out any time I'm in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WiLL B

I saw some in Mississippi. And we sure need em! Only seen a couple but was in tall grass and they were small, most likely more there. Just didn't want to disturb them any more than I already had.

deerhunt1988

Have saw 2 broods in north MS. Both were composed of one hen and 7-8 poults that were 2-3 weeks old . Could already fly. Lot better start than the past few springs! My area was also 2" below average on May precipitation.

bbcoach

Our DNR, here in NC, has their yearly Summer Turkey Sighting survey that will kick off the 1st of July and run to the 31st of August.  I have taken part in it for many years now.  We should be getting our report card in the next couple of weeks to do our tallies on.  Personally I haven't seen any poults but I can tell you our weather has been very dry through the month of May so rain and cold weather won't play a roll in killing off the little ones.  I Pray our hens had a GREAT spring with egg laying and that predators didn't get too many.  I'll definitely check back in the next couple of months with what I observe.

bossgobbler

Happy to hear of the folks seeing some. I haven't seen any myself yet but in talking to others I believe our hatch is starting off better than last year. We will know more in a month or so when they start being more visible.

Howie g

Zero here in sw ms yet ,, and plenty wet weather !  Hope I'm wrong , but it's sure looking like a slim year

tlh2865

I saw a group the other day but only a passing glance at 5 or so entering the woods. Our turkey numbers are LOW where I am at right now so I hope they have a great summer and winter

3bailey3

Central MS, guy that lives by the club i am in has been seeing a good many, sent me video of poults running everywhere!

Pluffmud

Saw 4 hens with about 15 little bittys near a populated area. Good to see.
Psalm 46:10

simpzenith

Had my first hen w/poults sighting while hunting in Michigan this past week. Didn't get a good look but through the brush but there were several poults, possibly more.

WV Flopper

I have not. But a friend said he did, 1 hen, 13 little butties. Was telling a friend and he said me at work had seen some last week of WV season .
This was from Southwestern tip of MD, and the armpit of the Eastern panhandle of Wv

JeffC

5/19, found a lot of scratching, started soft talking and scratching my way thru woods, sign continued to get fresher. Look to my left a Hen is 15' from me, have to get to phone, she doesn't  like me moving, starts to walk away then turns and starts walking back to me, start videoing, then the ground starts moving between us, 8 newly hatched poults. Cant get the video to post here, too big of a file, click on link below, I hope it works, taken me 2 days of trying to get it posted. It was awsome to see interaction between momma Hen and her poults, think when she first saw me move she putted, they all froze, had to been only 7 to 10' from me and I never saw them till she calls for them to follow her.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3qCGzLCktPB57UPK7
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

outdoorsmen

Jim K

I have a bird feeder at my taxidermy shop. I put cracked corn under it. This weekend I got trail cam pics of 3 hens with 8 poults at my feeder. This got me excited as last year I only had 1 poult here all summer. I'm not sure how much I'll see them as I'm sure they'll be in the woods eating cicadas.