OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad Longbeards

Started by Tom007, June 04, 2021, 07:56:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I hope everyone had a safe, healthy season. There has been talk this year about defective Winchester Long beard shells. I myself "might" have had a problem shell this year. I shot a Tom in NY with Longbeard number 6's. The shot was 25 yards, wide open. The shot sounded different, muffled, not so loud. The gobbler did drop right over, but he was close. I was in a hollow valley it might have been a weird echo, not sure. I was wondering if anyone experienced this, and does anyone have any lot numbers of potentially defective shells? Thanks...
"Solo hunter"

Howie g

The only shell I've ever had mis fire in 38 years is a long beard #6 around the time they lst came out .
I shot the remaining shells in that box at targets , and never bought long beards again .

AndyN

I've had two light primer strikes using longbeards. Of course both times on birds and not the patterning board. Ended up getting both but the click and panicked rush of shucking another shell in was frustrating. It's unfortunate because they pattern great out of my 20. Guess I'll make the move to TSS next year.

jhoward11

A couple years ago I had one out of the box that you could shake, like it wasn't full. let them know and they sent a new box. 12 g #5 LB. No issues since. I do take each one out now after buying a box and shake just incase. Great shell for my gun.

davisd9

Issues with Longbeards did not start this season, it has happened since they were introduced. Lots of clicks without them going off.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Meleagris gallopavo

I killed a bird this year with a Longbeard I've had for 3 years at least.  No problems here but I may not go through shells as much as others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

the Ward

Haven't had any issues yet, but i have only shot a few patterning.

lowoctane

I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Tom007

Thanks for feedback. They seem to be a great shell, except worrying about them working at the moment of truth scares me a bit.
"Solo hunter"

Turkeyman

I had my first shotgun misfire ever this year with a 3" LB shell. I figured it was due to some "crap" in the trigger assembly but after reading this post that may not have been the case. In the future I'll make sure there's no "crap" in the trigger assembly....it's very easy to remove and clean with my Mossberg 930.

the Ward

The biggest problem i have is they are not making them in 10 gauge!

Greg Massey

No issues so far, but I've still got several boxes to shoot.....

Cowboy

Quote from: Tom007 on June 04, 2021, 02:36:09 PM
Thanks for feedback. They seem to be a great shell, except worrying about them working at the moment of truth scares me a bit.
I agree with Tom. Kind of worried now. I actually shot a 2 3/4 in the LB. Its out of my Remington 1100. No probs yet but concerned abit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on June 04, 2021, 07:56:49 AM
I hope everyone had a safe, healthy season. There has been talk this year about defective Winchester Long beard shells. I myself "might" have had a problem shell this year. I shot a Tom in NY with Longbeard number 6's. The shot was 25 yards, wide open. The shot sounded different, muffled, not so loud. The gobbler did drop right over, but he was close. I was in a hollow valley it might have been a weird echo, not sure. I was wondering if anyone experienced this, and does anyone have any lot numbers of potentially defective shells? Thanks...
Tom was this shell 12 ga or 20 ga ?

DUCKDIGGLER

Only misfire I had with Longbeards was with a 835. Every other 12 & 20 ga turkey gun (non Mossberg) I own has been 100% with LBXRs. Your milage may vary.  :newmascot: