turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Short barrel Remington choke recommendations

Started by lmbunch69, May 25, 2021, 11:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

Just picked up a new to me late 90s express with a 21 inch barrel. I have a super mag with a 21 inch barrel and run a 665 Indian creek with double x number 5s. Not a super tight pattern but very forgiving. In this new gun I'm looking for a tighter pattern with lead shells only. No interest in tss I'm happy with lead 5s or 6s. Would a .655 be too tight in a comp n choke or similar?

Ranman

Remington Ventilator is a great choke if you can find one. I believe it is .650, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Shoots lead fantastic.

SumToy

you can choke it smaller.   Now if you shoot lead I would go to the long beard.   
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Ranman on May 25, 2021, 11:47:15 PM
Remington Ventilator is a great choke if you can find one. I believe it is .650, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Shoots lead fantastic.
This^.  Yes the Ventilator is .650.  I use one in my Rem 870 with 20" rifle sight Rem choke barrel. Must agree it shoots lead very well.  I use the now long discontinued Federal Premium 3" 2oz. # 7 1/2 in it. Patterns are excellent. There are about 700 copper plated shot in one of those shot shells!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

lowoctane

.655 CompNChokes work very well in short barreled scatterguns. Have one in Remchoke and one in Winchoke for short barrels. :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Ihuntoldschool

665 is usually ideal for lead 5/6 in a RemChoke.  You can try 655 but you're splitting hairs here. It might give you an extra half a yard of killing range on the back end. You decide if that's worth giving up that forgiveness that you currently have.  As mentioned 655 may not improve your patterns, particularly with #5 shot.

Greg Massey

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on May 26, 2021, 01:26:25 PM
Quote from: Ranman on May 25, 2021, 11:47:15 PM
This^.  Yes the Ventilator is .650.  I use one in my Rem 870 with 20" rifle sight Rem choke barrel. Must agree it shoots lead very well.  I use the now long discontinued Federal Premium 3" 2oz. # 7 1/2 in it. Patterns are excellent. There are about 700 copper plated shot in one of those shot shells!
Typo, the Ventilator is .655, sorry about that.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!