OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using the gobble in the woods ???

Started by Yoder409, May 15, 2021, 08:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLGobstopper

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 17, 2021, 04:48:16 PM
No kidding, these guys must not have enjoyed enough spring woods time if they're still this wound up. Maybe it's the end of COVID that's got them acting a fool.

Ha that's funny! You can tell the seasons over when you got the jakes wanting to hang and impress the older gobblers.  :TrainWreck1:

guesswho

Quote from: FLGobstopper on May 17, 2021, 05:17:04 PM
Ha that's funny! You can tell the seasons over when you got the jakes wanting to hang and impress the older gobblers.  :TrainWreck1:
I have to ask just out of curiosity.   Would I be considered a Jake wanting to hang with and trying to impress the older gobblers, or an older gobbler that is unimpressed? :D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

HookedonHooks

No kidding, these guys must not have enjoyed enough spring woods time if they're still this wound up. Maybe it's the end of COVID that's got them acting a fool.

Seasons closing in, but it ain't over yet. Sorry to hear the old gobblers are already done getting after it for the year, more for us "jakes" I guess. We push through the end of May and travel near and far seeking opportunity.

vt35mag

I use it as a last ditch effort to try and get a hung up gobbler to close the distance.  Hasn't worked for me yet, but I won't give up on it either.

FLGobstopper

Quote from: guesswho on May 17, 2021, 05:27:13 PM
I have to ask just out of curiosity.   Would I be considered a Jake wanting to hang with and trying to impress the older gobblers, or an older gobbler that is unimpressed? :D

Nah you're more of one of them Ol elusive birds no one can figure out sometimes and then next thing ya know there he is. Actually in all honesty, I typically try and sort through and find some insight in the things you post so I'm glad you kinda explained a little further what you meant by your first post.

I was a little puzzled by the fair chase comment from someone else and wondered if that was something legit or...?

Then I saw a good opportunity to mess with the Jake and get him all riled up and had to jump on that one.  :fud: :OGani:

guesswho

;D I feel like I'm one of those old birds that's been shot multiple times, caught by a Bobcat but escaped, beat up by a gang of jakes and spurred by the boss.   But I'm looking forward to next year already.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

FLGobstopper

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 17, 2021, 05:40:15 PM

Seasons closing in, but it ain't over yet. Sorry to hear the old gobblers are already done getting after it for the year, more for us "jakes" I guess. We push through the end of May and travel near and far seeking opportunity.
Bummer, guess the Jakes are awesomer. I just finished up on Saturday and only got to hunt a few states and didn't quite make it until the end of May. And, yes I'm kinda old and tired and been going at it since Feb youth season in S FL. Over 2 months of hunting avg of 4 days a week and has me feeling like a  :z-dizzy: If I had more time to go I'd shoot him out from in front of ya tomorrow though.  :z-guntootsmiley:

HookedonHooks

Quote from: FLGobstopper on May 17, 2021, 06:27:00 PM
Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 17, 2021, 05:40:15 PM

Bummer, guess the Jakes are awesomer. I just finished up on Saturday and only got to hunt a few states and didn't quite make it until the end of May. And, yes I'm kinda old and tired and been going at it since Feb youth season in S FL. Over 2 months of hunting avg of 4 days a week and has me feeling like a  :z-dizzy: If I had more time to go I'd shoot him out from in front of ya tomorrow though.  :z-guntootsmiley:
You'd have shot him out in front of me this morning. I whiffed three times. That being said have had a very good season. Been in the field 30+ days and we've killed about 30% of the time.

Greg Massey

FLGobstopper

Quote from: HookedonHooks on May 17, 2021, 06:31:55 PM
You'd have shot him out in front of me this morning. I whiffed three times. That being said have had a very good season. Been in the field 30+ days and we've killed about 30% of the time.

Good stuff, missed a couple this year myself that were a real kick to the crotch! Had a few others with my 13yr old daughter and a couple new hunters here and there I had the privilege to take where at least 3 or 4 others should of died but didn't. It was a phenomenal season all in all and withdraws suck.

Glad you're having a great season, good luck and finish strong my friend!

Dtrkyman

I gobble occasionally, worked like a charm twice I can remember on stubborn hung up birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Quote from: guesswho on May 17, 2021, 04:39:05 PM
Good Lord people.  I figured I'd be called a purist an elitist  or something.   I said it can be an unfair advantage at the right time.  And it is.  Personal opinion!   I realize this and take full advantage of it every year.   Ive killed one or two every year by gobbling for a long time.   A prime example is when one half of a dynamic duo gets killed and the other lives.  There's about a 3 to 5 day window that the survivor is very vulnerable to gobbling.  So much so that I see it as an unfair advantage, and I take full
advantage of it.   I feel bad for killing him that way, but I get over it before he's finished flopping.

Very strong post.

:icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I am still reeling from the shock of the news that Ronnie has been killing turkeys all these years under the influence of PEG's.
Performance Enhancing Gobbles that is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

maddog3355

I've had enough success that I won't go turkey hunting without a gobbler call. Listen to the gobbler that you are working and if another gobbler in the distance gobbles and the one you're working answers him with some authority he will probably come in if you challenge him. But if you're hen calling to one and you're not having any luck it won't hurt anything to try him with a gobble call. Like others have said I wouldn't be to hip on using it when other hunters are around.

Sir-diealot

When I first started hunting them in the mid nineties I had one, I saw no good out of it though

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."