OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20 Gauge Over/Under

Started by DocGobbler, May 11, 2021, 12:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocGobbler

I hunt a variety of terrain and I many time will find myself with shots at 10 yards or other times out to 40. With the craze of TSS everybody is worried about how many pellets in a 10" circle. That thought process cost me a bird at close range when I barely pulled the shot. I'd like to have a gun where I can shoot a cylinder or improved cylinder when I've got a bird right but then if I've got a bird at 30-40 is can still throw a good hunting pattern at that range. There are a few turkey O/U guns out there but they're in 12. I'm looking to start with a gun and go through the process of hydro dip and possibly cerakote, added along swivels and then finding the right choke/ammo combo. Anybody have some suggestions or examples? I've looked at taking a used Citori field grade vs buying the yildiz 20 from academy so far.

hunter85

I went the route of the Steven's 555 and painted mine it is right at 6 lbs loaded ready to hunt I added a sling, I'm running a Carlson 565 and a Carlson black cloud 600 for chokes and getting nice even patterns at 40 and 20 with federal #9 tss I started with the 555 and 590 but they were a little to tight for my liking

hunter85

I am thinking I may send it out to sumtoy for a reddit mount

DUCKDIGGLER

I just ordered a Browning Cynergy 20 ga youth model. I like the shorter LOP on a turky gun when I sitting tight against a tree. Triggers are pretty good on Cynergys in general....well for a shotgun anyway. I have a Holosun 307 and a Meadow Creek Rib mount sitting here next to a Uncke Mike's swivel kit. I will most likely have the gun dipped and then the search for the 2 chokes begins......tight in the top for TSS #7s (9's arent legal here) and I am thinking a IC or LM for something like a Winchester Sporting Clays #7.5s lead....30 and in should be a huckleberry!

Cant wait to see some of the off season project guns! :OGturkeyhead:

tyler19

I've got a Stevens 555 compact 20 ga. 24" barrels. Limbsaver slip on recoil pad. Burris FF3 on a Meadow Creek mount. Tightwad choke with Fed #9 TSS in top barrel. Factory full choke with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7.5s in bottom barrel.

g8rvet

If I could find a fair deal on a double trigger O/U 20, I would pull the trigger today.  Literally and figuratively.  I just want a double trigger. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tracker#1

I went with a Steven's 555, 26" barrel. Running Trulock chokes because they will work with you with good turn around. Bottom barrel: "Pinhoti" .560 hand loads #8s tss. Top barrel: IM .601 lead #6s for shoe-top to 25 yards, tru glow sights..."the best of both  worlds"

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Dang, that receiver is completely invisible against that rock.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: tracker#1 on May 12, 2021, 07:28:49 AM
I went with a Steven's 555, 26" barrel. Running Trulock chokes because they will work with you with good turn around. Bottom barrel: "Pinhoti" .560 hand loads #8s tss. Top barrel: IM .601 lead #6s for shoe-top to 25 yards, tru glow sights..."the best of both  worlds"

That's what I was looking at for my wife. The 555 Compact. Was hesitant on account of the 2.75" chambering. I don't hand load and was wondered about the viability of tracking down shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker#1

It has a 2" 3/4 and a 3" chamber, I use 3" shells and it shoots factory LB #6s loads well also... I wouldn't have spent the cash getting it dipped for anything lesser...

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: tracker#1 on May 12, 2021, 08:21:21 AM
It has a 2" 3/4 and a 3" chamber, I use 3" shells and it shoots factory LB #6s loads well also... I wouldn't have spent the cash getting it dipped for anything lesser...
Awesome! Must've just been the one I looked at. Thought I saw it in the specs somewhere online too but probably just got it stuck in my head. I want to get her a 555 Compact. She doesn't like the added length of an action so has stuck with a single shot for years.

wchadw

I bought a Yildiz youth 20 o/u a couple years ago and now it's my dedicated turkey rig. I love it. Lightweight, short, easy maintenance. Shoots great.
Shoot hand load tss and lead 7 pheasant loads.
I got it cerakoted and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585 chokes
Sumtoy mount with Trijicon sight
Limbsaver pad

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: wchadw on May 12, 2021, 09:28:58 AM
I bought a Yildiz youth 20 o/u a couple years ago and now it's my dedicated turkey rig. I love it. Lightweight, short, easy maintenance. Shoots great.
Shoot hand load tss and lead 7 pheasant loads.
I got it cerakoted and dipped
Sumtoy 562 and 585 chokes
Sumtoy mount with Trijicon sight
Limbsaver pad

Every time you post this gun I get a little more jealous.

owlhoot

Quote from: tracker#1 on May 12, 2021, 07:28:49 AM

Very nice setup.
Shoe top to 25  :lol: I like that  8)

Ranman

Which Limbsaver pad fit the Yildiz 20?