Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Im gonna throw a little gas on this here fire.

Started by Pluffmud, May 09, 2021, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pluffmud

Before I begin, I am aware that there are Poets out there who still hunt exclusively with their granddaddys wingbone yelper, their great great granddaddys musket, filled only with lead pellets that they melted down in a crucible they made over 40 years ago, wearing deer skin moccasins from a doe they killed 20+ years ago, the same pair of Mossy Oak faded camo they bought when the company was first founded, drive the same carbeurated long bed chevy custom deluxe theyve had since 1982, and never change the radio in that truck from AM950 Country Legends, never had a cell phone never will, never taken an advil in his whole life and never will do that either thank you very much, all the while shooting turkeys like fish in a barrel.

Then theres your average "old school" guy. I believe these guys are more common than the poet previously described. Im convinced it is this particular crowd that claims to be from the said "school of old." This is a very subjective statement however, as their are many schools under this realm, and each school has differing teachings, Alma Maters, and beliefs. These schools are all secret, however, as no on has ever actually named the said "School of Old" in which they attended. These schools occasionally disagree over minute topics, such as use of cellular devices to aide in the pursuit of turkeys. In one school, you may be expelled for such debauchery. In another, it may be accepted, but only under the rule that you are hunting in a state in which you are a resident. And in yet another, it is prefectly acceptable, but dont let them catch you with a Titanium Pot Call... All you ever need is a squeaky trailer bearing to call in weary gobblers. To be clear, your average "Old Schooler" differentiates himself from the originally described Poet, in that the Poet is consistent in that he lives as if he is still in the Pre Civil War Era, omitting the Custom Deluxe of course. On the other hand, there is little consistency amongst those who claim to be "Old Scool" and what they each individually believe is under that umbrella. One idea or piece of gear may be "Old School" to one, and blasphemy to the next "Old Schooler," or even worse, it could be considered "New School..." Which brings us to the next point.

One thing is certain amongst this group of average old schoolers... that is their despise for schools of hunting that are "new." Graduates and Alumni from these schools, are highly frowned upon by their superior Old School Alumni, because of the tactics, gear, and modern technology used to cheat and kill turkeys, lacking any kind of Sportsmanship. Those who are attending new schools for their education need only to endure this ridicule for a decade or two however, as it is inevitable that their respective gear, tactics, and technology will outgrow its label of "modern," and grow into the vast unbrella that is "Old Scool."

Yes, that is correct, all Old Scool Alumni at one time, did attend New Schools where they were frowned upon by their superior forerunning Old Schoolers, like wise as where they, and the generations of Old Schoolers before them. As can be deduced, Old School is in its basic form, is a Graduate School for New Schoolers, in which the undergraduate turkey hunter finds comfort in his own way killing turkeys, and refines his skills and recieves his Masters, his Doctorate even, in berating and casting shame upon others for using technology, gear, or tactics any more advanced, or just not as old for that matter. This way, he can now be a part of that community that once shamed him, and he can be accepted. This process is neither wrong, nor right. It is merely the natural social process every turkey hunter, and outdoorsman for that matter, must endure through to become one of maturity and honor. Those who endure to the end, are rewarded with acceptance. Those who do not, drop out due to tremendous peer pressure, and then we lose their tax dollars and donations to conservation organizations, however these funds do not help the hunting community anyway, so who needs em?

P.S. Is snipe hunting with the use of LED flashlights considered "New School," or does it have to be a halogen flashlight to be "Old Scool?" Asking for a friend... I am without a doubt Old School...

Psalm 46:10

Gooserbat

That's a lot to say and it is pretty much the way it is.  I have to ask and please don't take offense, but are you but sitting in a bind with no birds gobbling?
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hobbes

I must have missed the point as I skipped through the nonsense but I suppose you warned us in the title.

eggshell

I enjoyed your thoughts and compliment you on a well written piece.

As for me, it all depends on the circumstance and/or discussion. I'm old school if it'll get me in a prime gobbler property and I'm new school if a new toy will make my gobbler pursuit easier in my old age. Sure there are some ways and gadgets that I prefer not to use and that's usually because I just don't want to mess with a bunch of gear. I am an inherently lazy and impatient turkey hunter and I have done it so many different ways in 48 years I can't even remember what I like and don't like, but I still like a good debate. So I may just claim "old school"  for the sake of debate and an entertaining time. However, if pulling out a cell phone and looking at a satellite map will save me some time and energy getting to that old Gobbler, I all in. I will admit I don't like decoys because they are a pain i the arse to pack in and out. I don't like reaping/fanning because I truly believe it's unsafe and being shot once in my life is enough. I won't spend hours on a gobbler, because somewhere someday there's a dumber one that will dance to his death. I guess in my old age I just like keeping it simple and simple usually gets me a couple birds. Last year there was this huge pissing match when some young stud said the young guys killed more birds than the old codgers .....well that could be true, but as you say every dog will sooner or later join the "old dog" group, so enjoy your chest thumping while you can because the day is coming when that valley is just too big and that hill too steep and you just walk away and let ole tom holler. You lost count of the dead turkeys a long time ago and one more dead turkey laying at your feet is no longer the quest of a lifetime, it's just something you do for fun.   

mikejd

Its good to see how well some of our members can write. I enjoyed a few of these posts. Im somwhere in the Mid school i Believe only being at this for about 23 years now. But when I see one of my first calls
or guns selling for big bucks as vintage I know I must be getting close to truely old school.

What Im really sick of is these new school gobblers that only gobble once a year when Im not around.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 09, 2021, 10:26:12 AM
That's a lot to say and it is pretty much the way it is.  I have to ask and please don't take offense, but are you but sitting in a bind with no birds gobbling?

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Hobbes on May 09, 2021, 10:34:14 AM
I must have missed the point as I skipped through the nonsense but I suppose you warned us in the title.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: mikejd on May 09, 2021, 10:54:13 AM
What Im really sick of is these new school gobblers that only gobble once a year when Im not around.

RutnNStrutn

Whenever it comes to commentary on which way of hunting is the right way, I say if it's legal and it makes you happy, then go for it.
Ethics is another discussion. People have different views on ethics, and that's OK. That's why I defer to legality.
We have enough attacks on hunting from the anti's without attacking each other for using differing techniques.

Pluffmud

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 09, 2021, 10:26:12 AM

Nope. Just have a lot of time to kill this morning. How I wish I was in a blind with no gobbling turkeys...

Pluffmud

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 09, 2021, 11:04:12 AM
Whenever it comes to commentary on which way of hunting is the right way, I say if it's legal and it makes you happy, then go for it.
Ethics is another discussion. People have different views on ethics, and that's OK. That's why I defer to legality.
We have enough attacks on hunting from the anti's without attacking each other for using differing techniques.

Thats my point.

ShootingABN!

Two books

Tenth Legion - Colonel Tom Kelly
The Old Pro Turkey Hunter- Nunnery

Wvdanimal

What took you a few hours of in depth thought and composition, I'll sum up in one sentence.  There are those who go turkey hunting and there are turkey killers.                          If you don't know the difference,  you fit in the first category.

ChiefBubba

I'm more of I don't give a dam how you hunt and I don't give a dam what you think about my hunting. I'm minding my own business and you mind your business. Bubba

the Ward